Problems with File and Settings Transfer Wizard

• tromack
  • tromack

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was having some problems with Dell desktop (running XP SP2) so I ran the file and setting transfer wizard and transferred all my files (not settings) to my laptop through my home network. I used the Dell system restore feature to restore the computer to its factory condition. When I try using FAST to restore my files, I keep getitng an error message "The location you specified does not contain stored information. Please type a valid folder path into the edit box." I have also tried running this on the laptop just to see if it would work and no I get the same error message. I know I am using the correct path.

I have done some research and found others who had this same problem. Some were able to fix the problem by making sure the old and new computers has the same version of FAST. However, I am using the same computer and would assume the versions would be the same or am I assuming wrong?

Can anyone help? I really could use these files back!

Thanks!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have yet to use any type of wizard to transfer files. Actually, I used Sync Toy from MS once. I'm amazed that people don't know how to move files by command line or even using a GUI.

Can you locate the files by hand?
  • tromack
  • tromack

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your help. I was able to restore the files after Windows installed some updates. Yeah!!!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts