problems with the volume icon!

• finalheart
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello i cant get the volume icon on my taskbar even if i go to that panel and mark that thingy to have an icon on taskbar its just not helping i was searching at forums so much i have downloaded a file that sounds like this --->sndvol32 and i have extracted it into system32 and i went back to panel and marked that thing to have an icon on taskbar and nothing i did not restart my pc but i dont think that owuld be a resolution so please help me because i dont know anymore what to do thanks it would be great to have an answer now thanks.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

does your sound actually work? might just be a driver issue.
  • finalheart
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

my sound is working i can hear music everything it just that lil icon that i want to killl u have a better idea?
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok now i'm confused -- you want it to appear to go away?
  • finalheart
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you want me to send a log file of hijackthis then just ask for it but i want to say that i think i have some kind of a virus even if my kaspersky 7.0.0125 is not finding any virus i think there is a virus because i have removed some viruses yesterday and from yesterday i have even problems with my touchpad of my laptop i just cant tap to click i can do everything with the touchpad but i cant tap to click so i think there is a virus because that icon is missing and the touchpad and thats all just happeed in ONCE so i hope i will get help of this forum as soon as possible
  • finalheart
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

nononono loool i dont want it to appear to go away i just said i want to kill just a joke i want that volume icon on my taskbar srry for that joke :)
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've found 2 things you can try. Both should be fine from all the responses I've read in regard to either one:\\
Quote:
Right-click on My Computer
Click on Manage
Expand 'Services & Applications'
Highlight 'Services'
Look through list of services on the right....
Find Universal Plug & Play Device Host
Right-click on it.
Click properties.
Change startup type to 'Disabled'
Do exactly the same with 'SSDP discovery service'
Problem should be solved.

or
Quote:
>- ctl+alt+del to get up task manager
>- click on "Processes" tab
>- highlight the "explorer" process
>- click "End Process"... this will stop your desktop.
>- click on "Applications" tab
>- click "New Task..."
>- Type "explorer" and click OK

are you running a firewall or AV of some kind? Norton perhaps?
  • finalheart
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

hello i have don that after i have done that i went to the panel and marked that thing to have icon it didnt came to my taskbar so it didnt helped i have kaspersky antivirus running and i either have AVG antispyware running and my firewall is turned on now i dont know if i answered your question about that--> are you running a firewall or AV of some kind? Norton perhaps?
  • finalheart
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

u have told me to do this --> Quote:

Right-click on My Computer
Click on Manage
Expand 'Services & Applications'
Highlight 'Services'
Look through list of services on the right....
Find Universal Plug & Play Device Host
Right-click on it.
Click properties.
Change startup type to 'Disabled'
Do exactly the same with 'SSDP discovery service'
Problem should be solved.

ok i have windows xp in czech language so i have finded that usb plug and play but that SSDP discovery service i cant find it
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually all you would have had to do after checking the option to show the icon is reboot. The systray icon should show up after you boot. It won't show up simply because you've checked it.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Actually all you would have had to do after checking the option to show the icon is reboot. The systray icon should show up after you boot. It won't show up simply because you've checked it.
it actually should. but from what i'm reading, this is a fairly common conflict with the plug and play service and either your AV or possible your chosen windows theme (?). I don't quite get the theme conflict, but there were several references to that being the culprit. Ultimately, your problem is residing in the system tray's loading, so ATNO's suggestion is valid. You really should reboot at some point.

Image it's a pretty dumb problem really.
  • finalheart
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok i will reboot now my pc i didnt dissabled the plug and play because u want me to dissable the SSDP discover service but i cant find it maybe i cant find it because its in czech language so reply me now after u will reply me i will restart my pc
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

it's quite possible that a lack of that service is the very problem. tough one to put a finger one.
  • finalheart
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok i dont understand that much what u have said to me now what should i do? restart my pc or should i dissable that plug&play thing without dissabling the SSDP?
  • finalheart
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok i have rebooted and still no icon maybe its a dumb problem but we all dont know if its not a virus doing this
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think you can safely rule out virus. In all my experiences with viruses have never seen one that messed with the volume icon, nor can I think of a reason a virus author would waste their time on it.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

agreed.

for what it's worth, here's one of the links I was reading through. Maybe something in there will trigger something that can help you more:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1034225301
  • finalheart
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok got it ill search for a better forum thanks anyway for a lil bit of help.
  • finalheart
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok i thought u didnt wanted to help me but when i have posted message i saw replies omg
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright I think I have the answer for this. The easiest way to get the volume icon is:
Go to Start/Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices. On the Volume Tab under Device Volume, put a check in the box that reads: Place volume icon in the taskbar.

However, you've tried that with no success.

Follow these instructions:

1. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to c:\WINDOWS\system32\
in system32 look for the file powrprof.dll And verify that it exists. If it exists skip step 2 and proceed to step 3.

2.(only do this step if powrprof.dll does not exist):

Place your XP CD in then go to Start/Run and type in:
EXPAND -R X:\I386\powrprof.dl_ C:\Windows\System32

After that is done, go to c:\WINDOWS\system32 and confirm that powrprof.dll now exists. Then go to step 3.

3. Go to Start/Run and type in: regsvr32 stobject.dll

4. Last run this edit

(*note - before running that edit backup your registery first. Messing with your registery can cause adverse affects that could result in an inoperable machine)

If you don't know how to run that edit, ask before doing so for additional instructions.

Other Checkpoints:

Make sure Hide Inactive is disabled in Taskbar Properties. In Sound and Audio Devices Properties, make sure "Place volume icon in the taskbar" is checked. If it still doesn't work, here are two workarounds:

1. Go to Start/Log off (log off then log back on).
2. Right-click the taskbar & select Task Manager under Processes tab select Explorer.Exe & End Task. Under Applications tab select New Task, type in "explorer" and click OK.

These instructions were found here:
Scroll down to the section on volume control (it's alphabetical and near the end)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_v.htm

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts