Protected files in windows?

• AthenasBane
  • Student
  • Student
  • AthenasBane
  • Loc: Memphis, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quick question, how do you modify/ delete files that say they are protected? Example: Some loserware program automatically downloaded to my computer, and I cant delete the...executable or one of the .dlls, i cant remember, but it says its protected, and i cant delete it. I can undersand this for OS files, but this one needs to go.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

try getting spybot search and destroy, if that dosent work try adaware, from lavasoft. one of those should remove any spyware, adware, all of that stuff.

poly
  • gopher
  • gopher
  • Loc: Atlanta

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know exactly what your talking about i was facing the very same thing like months ago then one night it hit me. If the files your trying to delete are being loaded at time of boat then yeah it will not let you remove them. Try rebooting in to safe mode by hitting F8 just as the computer get off the bois screen and then choose safe mode when you boot in to it i bet you will be able to remove those files then. The files the i had to delete where files that kept making pop-ups pop up even though i had a blocker. After i found out how to remove the files then i was fine.

Hope this works for you
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

you can do what he said, altho it wont always work, the spybot and adaware will find these files, and when you restart your computer it will be the first thing to boot up, and it will quarintine the files and then delete them before they load up. i would recommend spybot over adaware, both are freeware.

poly
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also if you are using XP or ME you should turn off system restore, and then re-enable it afterwards. As was noted anything Adaware or Spybot can't remove you do have the option to remove them after reboot. Select that option and immediately reboot.

The safe mode solution should also work, but I've seen several times now when it's been recommended to run the spyware removal programs several times in safe mode until you are sure you've cleaned it. Two or three times should be sufficient.
  • AthenasBane
  • Student
  • Student
  • AthenasBane
  • Loc: Memphis, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Great stuff thanks guys...btw this is for my parents comp not mine :roll: .

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts