Quicker Windows Updates and Patches

• GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello All:

I do a lot of IT support for multiple small and medium businesses and I run into a lot of PC's that are way behind on updates. Windows Update can be a bear and take an obscene amount of time to catch up on updates. When I charge hourly, people really get a sticker shock when they get my bill. My clients who have a contract, it hurts me, when I'm spending 6 hours just doing updates.

I carry an 8 GiB USB memory key where I have a whole slew of DOS scripts which install and run Antivirus, Antimalware, a Disk Defragger, CCleaner, etc... Which is entirely unattended. I come in and execute my Deploy.cmd and it xcopies everything over to the local drive and it kicks off and I pull out the key and go to the next computer.

Is their something I can do (program or a script) that scans the computer for updates it needs and installs them automatically without user interaction that I can run from a USB key?

Possibly even having copies of the biggest updates (like XP SP3) on the key already. I prefer free, even though I do donate a reasonable sum of money and get permission to use the program for use in business settings as a "technician" or I purchase a technician license for some other products. I just don't want something that costs hundreds or thousands of dollars and needs a server, etc... I don't need it to run on the machine all the time - I want to update it and go to the next machine.

Please Advise.

Cheers,
GT
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Once you complete all the updates, aren't you changing the update settings to automatic, to avoid all that work the next time? It seems to me that after a couple of visits to a site, scheduled tasks should be in place.

Secondly, what about remote desktop or VPNs to your clients? That would save an enormous amount of time.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

A lot of clients do not run the machines 24/7 - they shut them off when they leave and they completely ignore the taskbar notification. Most computers have automatic updates.

There are people on this earth that do not understand the first thing about computers and completely freak when something pops-up that they don't understand. Having automatic updates during business hours doesn't help either. It requires reboots, etc... I do a minimum of 4 hours per month to keep the computers up to date per client.

Then you have destructive updates. Some Microsoft engineer misses a semicolon and 40,000 computers go down around the world when the update pushes.

If I'm there personally or remotely they still get billed by the hour. It's better if I am there personally because I usually use that time to get them to buy new computers or have me write them a custom application.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you looked at creating an offline update CD?

http://www.ghacks.net/2008/01/21/update ... ne-update/

This will create an ISO image of all the latest updates, then burn it to a CD. Run it on clients machine and it will install all of the needed updates.

With your abilities you might be able to run it from a USB if carrying around a CD is out of the question. Plus you would have to update your CD every month after patch Tuesday.

I think this only does up to Vista though. Not sure how many of your clients have jumped to Win7 yet.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm a little confused on that one. That linked article indicates that AutoPatcher was nixed by Microsoft. So does this from 2007 http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-ce ... er-project

But on the website there's a post from a few days ago (March 6th) that indicates Windows 7 support has been added and will be released shortly
http://www.autopatcher.com/2010/03/auto ... -apup-1-3/

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts