RAM upgrade

• the pilgrim
  • Born
  • Born
  • the pilgrim

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi folks,
I'm struggling with my very small RAM...just 256MB. Considering that I need to work with several heavy programs at once, it becomes quite frustrating. Is it possible for me to increase it without adding hardware? I live in a city where only few technicians can be entrusted with a Dell Laptop, so I want to avoid fiddling with the hardware. By the way, I don't have much HDD space either.
Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

:D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

It kind of helps to know what model laptop you have. Also, you can go onto Dell's website and enter in the model number and you can look up upgrades particular to your model. Replacing RAM is simple, replacing your hard drive is simple too but requires more work if you wish to keep files on your current hard drive.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I sounds like you need to find a way to upgrade your laptop & save yourself a bunch of headaches.
I know that's not what you want to hear, but it's probably your best option.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually on a laptop, easiest way to get more hard drive space is buy an external hard drive (USB). You can get 500GB drives now for as low as $100 US
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory ... ard-Drives
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

"several heavy programs" with a 256MB system though ?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch gave the solution for that. Upgrading laptop memory is a breeze. Turn the laptop over, open the RAM container. Pop out the old, insert the new. And his instructions on how to access the information at Dell's website is spot on. As an alternative you can install the free PCWizard 2008 and get the RAM info and the Max it will support. My best guess if it is 256MB now it will support at least 2GB.

http://www.cpuid.com/
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for that ATNO, I completely forgot about that application. I have an older server at home that I would like to upgrade the RAM on but am too lazy to open it up and check the motherboard and look it up.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
Thanks for that ATNO, I completely forgot about that application. I have an older server at home that I would like to upgrade the RAM on but am too lazy to open it up and check the motherboard and look it up.

I have it installed on all the computers at work and have cataloged the hardware on PDF files. Came in handy last month when I had to upgrade RAM on half a dozen computers.
  • the pilgrim
  • Born
  • Born
  • the pilgrim

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks alot folks!
Although that was really not what I wanted to hear, but if replacing my RAM is that simple, then I guess it shouldn't be a problem, even in the Philippines.
Again, many thanks! You guys are great. 8)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts