Rant: My stupid computer, stupid java, stupid windows!

• Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, for about a week or two now, every time i try to log in it takes about 45 seconds (this is not boot-time... it boots in under 25 secs, this is the time from the log-in screen to the time i can use my computer), it should take less then 5 - what it has taken in the past.. then after it sits there for oh so long thinking about what the f*** it wants to do, it comes up with an error saying "cannot load bridge.dll" whatever the hell that is... then at some random time after i log in, it comes ub with an error in "UMonitor", once again whatever the hell that is... then blah blah blah...

today i was trying to install the java SDK 1.4.1 (the version my school uses) after that,my program compiles just fine... (just like it did at school, so i know its not a problem with my program) and i go and try to run the bloody thin, and it come up with an error in th e GUI "noClassDefinitionError" or some crap like that... now i know i installed it right, but i think, maybe i didnt, so i go and try to uninstall it, and guess what? it wont bloody uninstall! so then i just go and try to run the installer again, thinking that it would do its thing and reinstall itself, but it cant uninstall the damn thing either! so im stuck with this little half-installed version of 1.4.1 on my computer... so after that i go to the java sun site and download the latest SDK 1,4,2, and try that... and guess what that does? bet youll never guess... it hangs my bloody computer, and i have to do a hard reboot... so that wont install all the way either... mind you i can still compile my program, i just cant run the damn thing...

then after all this sh** my friend IMs me and says he wont be able to burn the program (a program that i need) that i asked him to burn for me last week, which he forgot to do over the weekend, and cant do now because hes to busy playing FFXI... well f*** him, if he cant spare 10 minutes to burn a bloody CD, well, then next time he wants me to do something for him im going to take three bloody weeks to do it!

god this day sucked!

oh, btw, tomarrow, my computer is gonna die! *finger hovers over the OK button to format HD*
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

yup, thats windows for you, My suggestion, Purchase a apple computer :roll: http://www.apple.com

sometimes comps can be gay, possibly some bad spyware, or maybe a virus or two, or somethign else like a program thats conflicting possibly.

life can be tough -.-
=)
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh*stops to breath*aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

no! apples or even worse then windows! i cant do half the things i do on an apple!

i really have no idea what it could be... i checked my program list, everything there has worked before... and ive scanned for spyware using ad-awar and bazooka two times each, and then scaned both my HDs with norton, and then scanned them agian from my other computer (just to be thorough)... nada... unfortunately...

but anyways... *glances menicanly at computer* just wait until tomarow... everything is already all backed up... just you wait... mwahahahahaha :flame:
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry about your computer woes. There was a thread about this very problem in the Windows forum.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

In stead of Getting a Apple where you will pay a arm and a leg make the swich that everyone is going to be doing when the next windows loghorn come's out, Linux. It is free and sold. But of the advice i would do what you said Reinstall. Since you have all your software backed up. Sounds like alot of stuff is mucked up.
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Apples aren't bad at all, but I only use them for media. I have 1 linux comp, 1 apple powerbook (yup, its a genuine p-p-p-p-powerbook!), and 1 windows. The only comp I run a firewall + constant virus scanning is the windows one, my advice is run a good virus scan (bullgaurd is very good at picking up viruses other anti virus programs leave behind, but I usually use Panda antivirus). Panda antivirus constantly scans everything u are doing without using too much resources.
  • Liquescence
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Queens, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

*sigh* PLEASE. You're lucky. Mine takes 5, that's right, FIVE MINUTES, to load. Oh YEAH BABY. And I just bought this thing over the summer. *shoots Dell, goes to buy another Dell*
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Almost sounds like a virus... My home PC is Win2k (my wife's eyes glaze over when I mention the word Linux, so Windows will be the family PC of choice). Macs are forbidden in my house!

Anyway, I use Kerio as my personal firewall and AVG as my anti-virus software. Both are fully supported and free for non-commercial use and both work quite well. AVG has Outlook (and others I think) plugins and On Access scanning; Kerio has per-port, per-ip and intra-system monitoring, not just per-application and system-to-internet like stupid ZoneAlarm.
.c
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Anchorage, AK

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol, dang Calendae. Sounds like an awful day. Hope formating it fixes the evils.

//I like your sig Carnix
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm well in the mighty words of B_Heyer:

"format c
install Linux"
  • whos_wee_dug
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Scotland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm you're going to format and reinstall, i'd suggest downloading Linux while having windows too. Thats what I did, i got Linux Mandrake from their website (http://www.linuxmandrake.com surprisingly 8) ) burned the ISO onto 2 CD's, installed linux making partitions for linux and windows and then installed windows.

Its a fiddle to get going the first time you do it, but once its done you'll love it :)

And its not as complicated as i make it sound btw!

whos_wee_dug?
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like neat idea, but dont the both try to load at the same time when you start up your computer? Kinda confused.....
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

//Reshifts focus back to what JrzyCrim said earlier in this thread: http://www.ozzu.com/sutra76255.html#76255 : and shifts this to the Windows board. Addittional info can be found at the link he provided and this one: http://www.pestpatrol.com/pestinfo/w/wi ... bridge.asp
What basically happened is the program itself appears to be uninstalled but the registry run setting hasn't.

I'll leave the Java SDK prob to others.

• whos_wee_dug
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Smokenjoe wrote:
Sounds like neat idea, but dont the both try to load at the same time when you start up your computer? Kinda confused.....

Ahhaha you get a choice! say you install Linux after windows when you start your presented with a graphical (it looks very nice) menu where you can select to boot windows, linux and a floppy or a cd-rom.

took me 5 mins to find, here's a screenshot:
http://www.toolinux.com/linutile/distri ... t/LILO.png

hope this makes sense now,

whos_wee_dug?
  • Smokenjoe
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice. very cool, thanks for the link.
  • DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Linux is cool but not for the faint of heart. If your expecting to directly replace windows without any fuss its not for you. If you don't mind spending a fair bit of time learning how to use it then its great.

I've just started and its not that easy.
  • whos_wee_dug
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

DuckIT wrote:
Linux is cool but not for the faint of heart. If your expecting to directly replace windows without any fuss its not for you. If you don't mind spending a fair bit of time learning how to use it then its great..

I agree entirely, I hoped that this would be the case and i could scrap windows, but its not easily possible when you use the likes of Dreamweaver and Fireworks for web design. Limited game support is another reason why you can't just 'drop' windows.

whos_wee_dug?
  • Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

truthfully, i wasnt realy looking for help, i was already pissed off enough, that even if there had been another way to fix it, i would have formatted anyways... i was just ranting... thanx for all the advice though...

i really dont know what was worng, but my computer boots like it should now... (under 20 seconds :)) and all the other probelms seemed to have dissapeared :) i havent gotten aroud to the java SDK yet, but its my guess that the problem was related to all the bugs that were in the OS...

additionally, i have RH linux installed on my file server, so i am familiar with it... i keep my maim computer running winblows because there are several games i play that will only run on windows (i dispise emulators before you say it!)... its just easier...

once again thanx, for all the help :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts