Read only on all folders on drive C

• Gratheil
  • Born
  • Born
  • Gratheil

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello,

I have a odd situation, I am trying to help a freind with his pc. out of the blue all folders in the C directory have been changed to read only. If i uncheck the read only and hit apply it goes away, only to come back the next time you check the folder properties.

This is a offfice pc for a business. This computer has drive C shared and another folder in program files shared. becase the software he is running in the business has to have these to folders shared and accesable on the network.

He has trend as a virus software and it does not seem to find anything. not to suprising to me really.

The problem comes into effect since the folder shared in program files holds the data for his software that must be read \ write.

Is this a virus? and if so any recomendations on what program will find and get rid of it. Or is it windows corruption.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does it look like the following
where the check mark is a light gray?

That is a Windows feature, they are not really read only.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is the KB that discusses it

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549/
  • Gratheil
  • Born
  • Born
  • Gratheil

Post 3+ Months Ago

i know about the "fake" read only that windows sometimes encounters.

this is different. the workstations cannot access the shared folder to write to the data. the computer is on the network and you can browse to it from any workstation. you just cannot access the data. it comes up with a read only error.

just to let you know, every computer on the network logs on as administrator with no password. thought this was odd but it is what it is.

for examle if he goes to run a report on this computer i guess it access all the workstations then has to write to a file on this cpu to generate the report.

when you try to run the report you get a error about read only.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gratheil wrote:
out of the blue all folders in the C directory have been changed to read only.

I'm not a believer in "out of the blue". Permissions have been changed either in the sharing permissions or security permissions for the entire C drive and inadvertently restricted access to read only.

That's where you need to look. Not the folder property.
  • Gratheil
  • Born
  • Born
  • Gratheil

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sharing is set to full control for everyone.

security every user has full control

just wondering really if there was a virus out there that has been reported to do funky things like this
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Every computer has the C: drive shared but usually it is a hidden share as you are probably aware of. On a domain PC you cannot change the share permissions of the C: drive but you can alter the security permissions. You can access this by doing the \\computername\c$

As far as the other shared folder, is the file that is trying to be accessed is it really read only and not the read only I mentioned earlier? Have you double checked permissions both security and share?

Any new Windows Updates installed recently?
  • Gratheil
  • Born
  • Born
  • Gratheil

Post 3+ Months Ago

c has the basic share and a 2nd share called root.

in looking at the path these workstations use its basicly

\\computername\folder\file

so its bypassing the sharing on C and going directly to the folder in program files.

there is no domain. its just 3 computers on a switch that have adminstrators right on each other

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts