My PC is really pushing it!!

• Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wish I could tell my PC that its this close to being booted outta the damn window for being a slow piece of compaq crap..

I tried installing frontpage 2003, and it tells me I DONT have the required system to run this program, I install photoshop, and it tells me my monitor needs to be reinstalled because its making something in photoshop not work.

I still have photoshop installed, but couldnt install frontapge, Since ive had photoshop installed, everytime I open windows explorer, it crashes and freezes.. then I have to manually reboot.

Now its lagging like a you know what, although Iam on a 100mps cable internet connection, is slower then dial up.. Grrrrrrrrrr!!

And its not like my computer is that much of a dinosaur, its only 2 years old!!

Its a 1600 AMD athlon, 256 MB ram, 40GIG hd, running XP home..

Can someone please tell me why its such a piece of crap and how I an fix it, without breaking into a million pieces lol.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

/me blames XP home.

About the laggy comp, are you running alot of Programs, memory instive ones?
---
Start -> Settings- >Control Panel -> Compaq Diagnostic

Try the test, does anything fail, or something happen?

---

Do You have Windows Office 200*?
it has front page...

-
Have you ever defragmented your comp?

as for Monitor, how are you driver updates on it?

Is the software it self.. original, perhaps, its bad software, or is it.. like the real stuff...
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Start -> Settings- >Control Panel -> Compaq Diagnostic

Try the test, does anything fail, or something happen?

It says my hd is fine.

Quote:
Do You have Windows Office 200*?
it has front page...

No Im only running XP Home.

Quote:
Have you ever defragmented your comp?

Yes I do it every month or so.

Quote:
as for Monitor, how are you driver updates on it?

Is the software it self.. original, perhaps, its bad software, or is it.. like the real stuff...

Its the original software. The driver dates are 2001, I searched for an update via device manager, but it came back saying there was none avaliable. Then I clicked driver details, and it told me that it didnt require a driver :shock:

Quote:
About the laggy comp, are you running alot of Programs, memory instive ones?

Im not sure, I have PSP 7, and photoshop installed now, but other then that, the only programs I have installed are a few small ones like cute ftp, winzip, a few messenger programs. It told me my HD has 30.83gb left of storage.

Windows task manager tells me I have 38 running processes, and Iam using 209mb of page file history :shock: I used windows washer yesterday to clear out my temp files, cookies etc. That cleared out something like 31k files, and 2gb of storage. But it seems like since ive done that, the computer is running worse then it was before. (My file clearing option in windows explorer doesnt work for some reason)

I also did a full system restore 3.5 months ago. Which took it back to the bare basics of when I first got the computer.

Should I post a hijack this log? [/quote]
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sure. Couldn't hurt to post a a hijack-this log. I'd do a virus scan as well.

Your computer should be fine for running those applications. More Ram would be helpful. 256 is barely sufficient. I'd guess your comp is relying on virtual memory much of the time. That will slow things down.

Also, you might want to consult this tweak guide. http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/supertweaks.htm

As far as his tweak for the page file, I'd say skip that. Windows really only uses what it needs so it doesn't hurt to have more than what windows is actually using. I'd let windows handle that for now. His benchmarks don't really reveal any marked difference.

Disabling unnecessary services is a big help.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

38!?
thats alot, I run around 20~ at a time.

May I suggest TuneUp Utilities 2004, its part of my software That I love, and people who I know love it... very good software it is, worth the investment, try it, remove some "bad" registry keys, it also can find some settings that are slowing comp, and you can customize other stuff off your comp.

30day full trial. You can also, optimize your computer for games, and other options in the utilities.

http://www.download.com/TuneUp-Utilitie ... ag=lst-0-2

I suggest doing "Optimize and Improve tab"
first, , then go to Clean Up & repair tab, and do "tune up registry cleaner"

and , yea, it should help more removing bad Registry keys and other stuff plaguing comp potentially...

atleast it has to my comp
  • Hellsbellboy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

you should get a extra 256MB of RAM.. WinXP uses about ~120MB itself.. so the extra would really help..

TuneUp XP that Foxy suggested is a good program.. specially if you have had your installation of Windows for awhile.. Also a good Defragging of your Hard Drive would probably help.. as well as turning off all but the needed programs from starting up. When I boot the only programs starting up are Zonealarm and Norton Antivirus..

http://www.tweakxp.com/default.aspx also has a lot of nice tweaks.
  • sonnyrizo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • sonnyrizo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your computer looks pretty good. Its strange you're having all those problems. I am thinking your solution lies in either increasing RAM or decreasing the number of Start-up programs and running programs.

Try decreasing the number of things running first....You can use Process Explorer to do that:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freew ... cexp.shtml

In order to decrease the number of things in Start-up, you can use MSCONFIG. Go to Start > Run > MSCONFIG ...Go to the start up tab. Remove whatever is not important.

In case that does nothing, RAM can be pretty cheap at ebay.com.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldnt suggest buying ram online, or off ebay espicially, usually, all comp stores, sell cheap.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks heaps guys for the advice. Iam going to do everything suggested. Will let you all know how it goes.
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey all,

My PC seems to be running a little better, and I now have only 20 running processes.

I have 1 more question though, is extra ram hard to install??
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

nope, not if its for your comp, its very easy to install, open case, install. voila
  • Benat
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok cool, Now another question, When we brought the PC, we had it upgraded from 128mb to 256. Will there still be room for ram, thats prob the dumbest questions in history, but I wouldnt have a clue lol.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Depends, on your mother board, how many Ram slots you have, usually, they sell 128mb chip's, and usually have 4 slots, so.. yea, there should be room, you need to find your ram, which is simple, and if its helps, look for a sticker of your size of ram, there should be plenty of room to install it. unless, you have like 4 x 64mb chips.. which , Hopefully you dont have, just open your case, take a look, and find appropriate ram, maybe same model, ask the store owner about your ram for more info, and remember, cheap can be a bad thing, so get some good ram, no real cheap stuff, cuz itll go bad after a while, and you want some good ram dont you.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts