Recovering Office Product Key

• devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've googled this and there's much on it, but I'd like to know if anyone can recommend a utility to recover the key. I think I definitely need a utility to decrypt the key from the registry. Anyway, the keys were not kept up with and some of the machines need to be restored. Office was probably purchased with the computer, but Dell was little help they told me to call microsoft and they'd email me the receipts (which that email never made it through). I used the MS site to get an MLK-OEM disc. I ran a couple of the the utilities and they gave me the same number so I thought I was good to go. The productid had xxxx-OEM-xxxx, something like that, so I figured it was either the MLK which I had previously downloaded or regular OEM which I had one of those too. I tried both and neither install would accept the code. I spoke to microsoft and they verified the code (well they didn't UN-verify it) and told me to call the automated installer, but the Office install didn't give me an installation ID so I couldn't use the automated verification system. I'm really just wondering what went wrong cause I thought I was good to go after running the utility to extract the key and thought it was going to be a lifesaver, but turned out to be a really bad headache. Anyone know anything that works?

This is all for 2007. Nearly everyone has 2007, but if it works for 2003 then that's good too.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

The best keyfinder on the block.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Giving it a whirl. Thnx.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ran the keyfinder on a machine with WinXP Pro SP3 and the code it gave me for the Windows does not match the sticker on the case. This machine possibly has never been re-installed. Could Dell have installed a different key and just sticks a random unused key on the case?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Possibly has never been re-installed? If you are getting a different key then the one Dell puts on the box then I would say someone has redone the OS on it at some point.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not sure why someone wouldn't use the key on the case. Maybe an OEM disc that didn't ask for the key? Either way, I'm wiping it. I used magicaljellybean and got the codes. I'm going to use the case key so I shouldn't have any problems there and I'm going to re-install Office later today using those keys.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts