Redirect My Documents to mapped drive-group policy

• kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

On my little network I'm finally getting Server 2008 with Active Directory. What I want to do is set up some sort of roaming profile that is completely effortless for the end user. If they save a document to their desktop on one computer it will be there on another computer.

I figured roaming profiles were the answer and set them up according to the directions from Microsoft Technet, but it doesn't seem to be doing what I want it to do.

So my next guess was to use the same shared folder for each user on the server that I created when I was messing with roaming profiles, but in AD map a network drive to that share. In the past I've redirected the My Documents to a mapped drive, but that was not with AD. I tried finding a group policy or something that I could do it with but am coming up empty.

Clear as mud? I'll take any help I can get. It needs to be easy for the end user because this is a K-12 school I'm working in, so it needs to be easy for computer illiterate people between the ages of 5 and 65.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You want to use folder redirection.

http://www.itechtalk.com/thread1958.html
  • kc0tma
  • o|||||||o
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Trout Creek, MT

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm going to print that puppy out and give it a shot. It looks more like what I want to do than anything else I've read yet so I've got high hopes. Thanks ATNO!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts