Refreshing Folders (WinXP) auto-refresh problem

• lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I am getting really annoyed with this auto-refresh thing Windows has with it's folders. I will be sitting here browsing through folders looking for a file and it gets annoying when im scrolling and then i'm automatically teleported back to the beginning where I have to scroll down again to find my place (or use the keyboard to get there faster).

Is there any way to turn this off? I've searched all through Windows, but I can't seem to find a way. Am I overlooking something simple?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

it's not a setting to turn off via the interface. but if one were so inclined
to visit the registry, they could be so inclined to turn it off...if they were
so inclined, that is. ;) Image
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

UNFLUX wrote:
it's not a setting to turn off via the interface. but if one were so inclined
to visit the registry, they could be so inclined to turn it off...if they were
so inclined, that is. ;) Image

Gotcha, I am fully inclined to pay a visit to the registry, thanks again hun ;)
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been drudging through this friggin registry all day, I can't find out how to stop the auto-refresh!!!!!!!!

I thought I got it once, but for some reason it just took longer to refresh that time, but it eventually did.

ARGH!!!!!
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

i'm not 100% on this but here's a try.

sounds to me like the indexing service xp runs is going haywire. you can
try disabling it by --

1. Control Panel

2. Administrative Tools

3. Services

4. Disable Indexing Services

(source: http://www.tweakxp.com/display.aspx?id=545)

i just did it, we'll see if it makes a difference on mine as well.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tried it, still nada :( :cry:
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

bah! :x
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know what you mean :x

For anyone just joining in....

My Windows XP seems to enjoy refreshing a folder while I am viewing it and automatically putting it right back at the top. It doesn't matter what I am doing, I can be scrolling, I can be just looking the files, I could be going to open a file and then BAM, right back to the top I go.

It has always done this to me so I thought this was some kind of default thing in Windows XP, but I couldn't find anything to turn it off. Then I just checked the registry and still nothing. So I checked TweakUI to see if there were any options in there, absolutely nothing on refreshing. So all I am left with is no clues as to why this happens.

As for a clean install, I don't find this issue to be big enough to have to re-backup my files, reformat my hard-drive, and reinstall all my software again upon reinstalling windows.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do not recall my folders doing this, but I do not spend much time on one folder usually, so I really haven't tested that out. Has anybody else ever noticed this?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try this:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/r1040266854

Same problem -- probable solution -- good luck

Warning -- backup --backup -- backup before attempting.

P.S. FYI Google search = "folder refresh" + XP (page 3)
P.P.S --annoyances.org is a good site to bookmark. Lot's of good stuff there.
P.P.P.S -- 0.79 secs on the Google search. About 5 minutes to read. About 3 minutes to post (not given the few edits) I'm going to assume in advance it will work, but there is a benefit to understanding how to do advanced searches on Google and other engines. (what was that? less than 9 minutes vs. how many hours?)
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dude I spent hours on google finding nothing useful, and I spent a long long time at annoyances.org and still didn't find anything, how the heck did you find this?!?!?!?! I know how to do advanced searches, i've pulled out everything I knew and I could only find one answer to my question over and over and over again on so many different sites and that method didn't work for me.

As for this method, the question sounds like the same exact situation, but the solution seems fishy to me. I am looking at these registry keys and there is a lot of info in them, it's not like just deleting 1 thing, theres a whole lot of stuff in here, it's gotta be used for something.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

lostinbeta wrote:
Dude I spent hours on google finding nothing useful, and I spent a long long time at annoyances.org and still didn't find anything, how the heck did you find this?!?!?!?! I know how to do advanced searches, i've pulled out everything I knew and I could only find one answer to my question over and over and over again on so many different sites and that method didn't work for me.

Look at ATNO/TW's post again. He has a P.S. section which tells you exactly how he found it with google :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yah, be careful with it. I didn't look at the keys, so I have no idea what they do and no time to look now. Not sure what to suggest to you. If you backed it up, you can always restore it if it screws something else up.
As far as how I found it? Just took the words of your problem and condensed it to the main key words. I have this uncanny nack for getting good Google results. When looking for an answer to a problem, I don't settle for just the first page or two on the results. I'll usually go at least 10 pages deep before I give up and try a different search option. I've found that sometimes the better results don't always show up on the first couple pages.
  • lostinbeta
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
I'll usually go at least 10 pages deep before I give up and try a different search option. I've found that sometimes the better results don't always show up on the first couple pages.

Yeah I do that too. I go up to about page 15 before I input a new query.

Meh, I will do a little more research, I saved that link to my favorites for future reference though, thanks!
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

I only go two pages deep if I didn't find it with that search I'll revise my search using different words or more words, depending on what I'm looking for.
  • PHATE
  • Born
  • Born
  • PHATE

Post 3+ Months Ago

well atleast ur page refreshes my windows explorer just refuses to refresh its self i have to do it manually by right clicking or using F5 :cry: :cry:
  • baronming
  • Born
  • Born
  • baronming

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found something about : Disable the auto refresh in the XP Explorer :

Here's the solution I found, and it works for me, not push my test so far but it works at first sight

Here's what I found ;
http://groups.msn.com/ComputerAnswers/t ... 0569605131
  • baronming
  • Born
  • Born
  • baronming

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah We have to press the F5, but when your network drive goes crazy because many files are updated each seconds... it goes better.
  • c4rov
  • Born
  • Born
  • c4rov

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi folks,

Know it's an age since anyone updated this but did anyone get a solution that isn't ridiculously complicated?

It would really help me out

Thanks
  • etecnifibre
  • Born
  • Born
  • etecnifibre

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Click on the second one (Increase Folder View Limit Size to 8000), it updates the 'bags' in your registry (whatever that means, hell, I don't know). I've searched and searched for this fix. Hope it helps everyone who reads this.
  • kousha
  • Born
  • Born
  • kousha

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had the same problem of frequent folder refresh, especially with folders containing PDF files. I noticed that the net icon on the task bar starts blinking at the same time as the folder refreshes. So I guessed it must be something related to the internet.
I use Firefox so I had uninstalled Internet Explorer. I installed IE7 and the problem was solved.

I recommend you uninstall and reinstall your Internet Explorer.

Good Luck
Kousha

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 21 posts