registry file failure: system32\config\SAM

• dwhite
  • Born
  • Born
  • dwhite

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have this exact problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
(another post on here about it: http://www.ozzu.com/mswindows-forum/recovering-from-corrupted-registry-hive-with-minimal-loss-t54237.html )
except it is with sytem32\config\SAM. When I start to go through the steps to fix it, when I attempt this:

copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak

I get an error saying: The file could not be copied. The rest of them were able to be copied.

Am I just completely screwed? Any help would be greatly appreciated
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think you can do anything with the SAM file while windows is running.
  • bodom321
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bodom321

Post 3+ Months Ago

you can;t copy ior do anything to the SAM file while windows is runnin, neither you can with the security file. if you wanna copy the SAM file to that folder, then use a bootable cd such as knoppix or backtrack and copy it the file to that folder.

there was a hack that i read about in a forum, the guy said it could copy the sam file while windows is running, but i never got it to work, and when i asked him he didn;t reply my message so hell i haven't found any way to make a copy of it, otherwise hash cracking would be a million times easier.

there is something that really puzzles me about the SAM file, i use norton ghost. i wonder how ghost makes a copy of the SAM file, it does not require for me to reboot my computer whenever i wanna back up my computer and still it copies the file somehow. i have asked this question in some other forums, but all the answer i always get is "who knows" lol
  • dwhite
  • Born
  • Born
  • dwhite

Post 3+ Months Ago

halen wrote:
you can;t copy ior do anything to the SAM file while windows is runnin, neither you can with the security file. if you wanna copy the SAM file to that folder, then use a bootable cd such as knoppix or backtrack and copy it the file to that folder.

there was a hack that i read about in a forum, the guy said it could copy the sam file while windows is running, but i never got it to work, and when i asked him he didn;t reply my message so hell i haven't found any way to make a copy of it, otherwise hash cracking would be a million times easier.

there is something that really puzzles me about the SAM file, i use norton ghost. i wonder how ghost makes a copy of the SAM file, it does not require for me to reboot my computer whenever i wanna back up my computer and still it copies the file somehow. i have asked this question in some other forums, but all the answer i always get is "who knows" lol

I'm doing this all from the recovery console on the XP cd. Windows isn't running. I can't get the computer to start up at all
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suggest that you start from the beginning. Exactly what is the problem, how and when did it start?
  • dwhite
  • Born
  • Born
  • dwhite

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's what happened:
I shut my laptop down without there being a problem. Later that day, I open it up and I reach a screen where I have to choose to start in either safe mode or normal. Regardless of what I pick, the following happens:

It acts like it is going to start up, and then ~10 seconds later a blue screen flashes for less than a second. it says
Stop: c0000218 (registry file failure)
the registry cannot load the hive (file):
systemboot\system32\config\SAM or its alternate

beginning dump of physical memory
physical memory dump complete.
then something about contacting computer administrator.

(i was able to read it because I took video of the screen and watched it frame by frame)

Then, my computer restarts and is stuck in a loop and keeps repeating this sequence.

Then I attempted this to fix it, using my xp cd recovery console:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

The first step is to type this:
md tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak

delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

I was able to do the first 2 lines successfully. It said it couldnt copy the file.

I'd greatly appreciate any more help. I have most of my files backed up, but I would lose quite a bit of important stuff
  • bodom321
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bodom321

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you are gonna do what the fix tells you to do, i think you will not be able to have your account back, the sam file contains the information for all the accounts created in xp, vista and the other nts. if you replace the file for the one in the recovery cd you will probably loose your account "in theory" if your sam file is damaged then i guess you don;t have any other choice but to do that what the fix says. if you wanna recover those documents you say you will loose if you do what the fix says, then use knoppix to be able to access your drive and copy the files to your flash drive. you can get knoppix fro free from this website lol: http://www.knoppix.org, it wil take awhile to donwload, you might also try slax, which is much more smaller in size than knoppix and can get the job done too.

http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload ... -1957.html

there is another smaller version called popcorn or something like that i forget the name anyway try that one, it will help you.

i am glad you backed up your data, i wish you would have used ghost to do that so that you would not have to reinstall windows again at all.

try the recovery thing from the cd, and see what happens. i would tell you to restore your computer from command prompt, but you can;t do that if you can boot upin safe mode with command prompt.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Let me give you a few other things to try as well. A very simple one is to boot the machine and hold F8. When you get to the boot menu, choose Last Known Good Config. It's a long shot but it may work.

If it doesn't work, I like to remove the HD from the machine and connect it to another machine using a USB HD enclosure. They make them for laptop HDs too.

Otherwise, boot it with knoppix, mad boot, UBCD or any of the boot CDs that will help you recover your data.
  • dwhite
  • Born
  • Born
  • dwhite

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried F8, and it gave me the options, but it still went into the same loop with the blue screen.

im downloading knoppix, so I'll give it a try.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts