registry keys infected.

• kt00mc
  • Born
  • Born
  • kt00mc

Post 3+ Months Ago

A few days ago I received an alert saying that I had a virus alert, TrojanDownloader:Win32/Zlob.

It was creating pop-ups of programs to download to get rid of them. After I did it, I quickly researched and I realized they were probably "The Win32/Zlob family has also been associated with rogue security programs that display misleading warnings regarding bogus malware infections." So, I quickly removed those programs (MalwareCore, Virus Ranger) and everything that had to do with them.

I finally manually deleted/removed infected files that were detected: by ending process trees in the task manager and disabling them in the startup, I permanently deleted the files. (And also disabling them in the Internet Explorer add-ons)
I have been running Windows Defender and it removed the trojan.

So, I have ran Adware Alert scan and it has detected 260 infected files, but they are all registry keys. I don't want to purchase the program because I believe there is another way to remove it all. I've been reading other posts and saw there are other free removal programs, like spybot or ad-aware.

What it says:

Downloader: Zlob
Rogue AntiSpyware: MalwareCore
VirusRanger
VirusRescue
Trojan: BHO
Zlob

underneath each of these subjects is a list of registry keys infected.

At first I was tempted to delete these all myself, but I read that it wasn't smart to do.

I've also read that I can disable them by putting an apostrophe(') in front of the file name.
But, I don't want to disable them, I want to remove them.

In another post they were advised to restore the registry keys, but doing this makes me nervous.

Currently: I just ran both adware alert and windows defender: defender says everything running normally, adware still detects all the registry keys.

Oh yeah, I have Norton AntiVirus, and in its threat report it says that the delete failed for VirusRescue, and repair failed for Downloader.

Any advice in what I should do? Thank you, in advance, for your help.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't buy any software either, at least not yet. There are a lot of posts like yours where there is an Anti Virus Program running and it doesn't do anything. They seem to be more useless by the day.

In any event, you can safely remove some of those things from the registry yourself. If you don't feel comfortable doing that, then start with what you have. Since you have Norton (yuck), follow their removal instructions at:
http://www.symantec.com/security_respon ... 99&tabid=3

You can always download SpyBot Search and Destroy, update it and run it.

Hijack This is another option.

None of those will cost you anything, so try those first.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts