Regularly unable to start progs inc task manager

• trampd1
  • Born
  • Born
  • trampd1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

First of all this looks like an excellent forum - I stumbled across it by pure chance.

I have a strange problem that I am looking for guidance on -

Every few days out of the blue I cannot load any programmes that are not already running unless restarting my pc - if I have an explorer window open I can open other windows such as control panel - but I cannot load anything not already running - even task manager - if I then close a programme I cannot load it again - so it's not a memory issue - doesn't matter where I load the progs from either.

I have run anti virus, anti spyware checks, disabled start up progs using autoruns (& still get the issue), cleaned up the registry, have gigs of disk space free

I have run filemon to capture the events prior the issue but can find nothing strange - it does show that all programmes appear to load ok with no errors or failures - filemon does show that an unsuccessful load of internet explorer finishes at xgusb.cpl whereas a successful load continues after that point to load ntmarta.dll, samlib.dll & others.

Any ideas would be welcome.

I'm not interested in reinstalling windows - I am interested in the solution from a technical perspective.

Regards,

TrAmp

:roll:
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

You did a lot of things but you missed the one that everyone misses. Look in the event viewer logs. It sounds like one of the services is stopping along the way.
  • trampd1
  • Born
  • Born
  • trampd1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thx Don,

I'm sure I checked event viewer although I can't remember now and it has since overwritten the dates I have samples of - I'll do it again as soon as the problem reoccurs.

If I didn't I'll kick myself as I do it all the time at work...lol

TrAmp.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

lol

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts