Reimaging my hard drive...

• j_rhine3
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • j_rhine3
  • Loc: Southeastern USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,
Over the past few weeks my computer has been getting on my last nerve...I constantly use my anti-virus programs (Norton 2004) and anti-adware programs to remove adware (Ad-Aware and Spy Bot). Yet, amidst all this some adware I have keeps coming back (I believe it is the NCase adware). I've deleted it using the Symantec recommendations and Pest Patrol recommendations, yet it continues returning. I've even used the built in removal tool, but it says that it can not find any instances of the program running. In addition to that, some of my games have been giving me problems lately and some of my downloaded concerts are slowing down my computer due to there large file size. All of these things have made me want to simply reimage my hard drive and start from step 1. I consider myself decent at computers, but I'm not sure what I'm getting myself into. Is this a decent option, and if so, how would I do it and is anything needed? Any help on this topic would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. I'm rambling and have most likely been unclear, so for that I apologize. I look forward to hearing from you all.

Peace,
Jimmy
  • ShEDeViL
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm trying to figure out what you mean by "reimaging." Towards the middle/end of your post you said something about starting from step 1 so I'm wondering if you are talking about formatting? If so, I think that formatting is the way to go if you have all of your files backed up that you need and know how to re-install all of your software.
  • j_rhine3
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • j_rhine3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi SheDevil,
I guess formatting is what I'd like to do...I don't know that much about computers, but I've always been told that you can't actually, simply "format" your hard drive. Recently a few tech-literate friends recommended reimaging my hard drive, so I'm rather confused on the matter. Anything you could do to clear up the matter would be appreciated. Also, just an FYI, the only thing I want to save on the computer is my documents, which I have burned to a CD.
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just Backup ur file into CD(sure u will have to burn one) or if u have a second HD just transfer every thing into there, then format ur HD.
  • j_rhine3
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • j_rhine3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Bluehat,
This is probably a dumb question, but how do I format my harddrive? Is it as simple as right clicking my C drive and going down to format? Also, once I have formatted my drive, do I need to reinstall the OS or is that still on the computer? I apologize for all the questions, but I want to be safe when doing all of this. Thanks for all of your help.

Peace,
Jimmy
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

j_rhine3 wrote:
Hi Bluehat,
This is probably a dumb question, but how do I format my harddrive? Is it as simple as right clicking my C drive and going down to format? Also, once I have formatted my drive, do I need to reinstall the OS or is that still on the computer? I apologize for all the questions, but I want to be safe when doing all of this. Thanks for all of your help.

Peace,
Jimmy

NO

what OS u want to install, do u have the CD with u?
  • j_rhine3
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • j_rhine3

Post 3+ Months Ago

At the moment I'm running Windows ME. I dont have the start up disc with me, but home is only half an hour away, so it shouldn't be a problem obtaining it...
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

My question is that after u format your HD, what operating system u want to install, xp, 2000, 98 .....etc.

and if u have the CD with u.
  • j_rhine3
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • j_rhine3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry for the confusion. I'll want to reinstall Windows ME, which I am currently running, and yes I do have the CD.
  • ShEDeViL
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would highly recommend that you go to Windows 2000 or XP if you are going to format. Windows ME is not a very good OS and Microsoft shouldn't have ever released it. That being said...

Formatting is pretty much as simple as putting the cd into the cd-rom and then booting from it, your computer will come up with a menu and you just follow along. One of the options will be to format and after it formats your hard drive, it will install the OS. With Windows ME you might need a boot disk, I'm not sure. I know with 2000 and XP you can just do it the way I meantioned.
  • j_rhine3
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • j_rhine3

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the info SheDevil...I'll definately do some research before I partake in reformatting my hard drive. If I was choosing between XP and 2000, which would be a better buy? I am a college student and I'm on a budget, so I'd like to go for the best deal, but at the same time I want to get the most for my money. Anywho, enough of my rambling. Thanks for your help!
  • SSCOMP
  • Born
  • Born
  • SSCOMP

Post 3+ Months Ago

You need to install windows xp pro......it is a bootable disc I can provide to you. If intersted email at sscomp@shaw.ca

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts