Reinstall Windows XP Fatal Error

• pucci
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Brooklyn, New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am running a Dell and the system was really slowing down with Explorer churning at start up. Ran SFC and other stuff and then decided to reinstall Windows XP Professional to try and clean things up. The install went well, during reboot got the Windows screen, and my icons appeared but then I got a blue screen, Fatal Error in the "subsystem" and a dump. I rebooted and it did it again. I have the Console loaded but don't know what to look at. Would appreciate any suggestions and help at this stage. Thanks again.

Frank :oops:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

On the blue screen of death what is the exact error you are receiving? Fatal Error could be numerous things, you will need to post the specifics of what is on that page for someone to help you further.
  • pucci
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the fast reply. The stop error is: C000021A and tried Last Known Good Configuration -- no luck. I can get into Safe Mode and opened the mini dump. It has the IMAGE_NAME: ntoskrnl.exe and FAILURE_BUCKET: 0xc000021a_c0000005nt!RamdiskBootDiskGuid+bb. I don't know what I'm looking at and could use some help. Thanks.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I looked up the stop errror C000021A for you:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669

Quote:
The STOP 0xC000021A error occurs when either Winlogon.exe or Csrss.exe fails. When the Windows NT kernel detects that either of these processes has stopped, it stops the system and raises the STOP 0xC000021A error. This error may have several causes. Among them are the following:

* Mismatched system files have been installed.
* A Service Pack installation has failed.
* A backup program that is used to restore a hard disk did not correctly restore files that may have been in use.
* An incompatible third-party program has been installed.

On the link above the resolution steps are quite long, so I will let you try and go through them to see if that helps. It recommends using Dr. Watson I believe to help you diagnose things further. Hopefully some of this helps.

This guy:

http://healyourchurchwebsite.com/2008/0 ... h-knoppix/

also had a similar problem and he noted that the recommended steps was with Dr. Watson, but it appears he went a different route to resolve the issue. You might read through that to see if that can help you at all.

I also read from a few other articles that it could be a bad memory module, just something to note.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just had this exact problem on a computer at work. In the end it took not only reinstalling it twice, but also a full reformat. In other words, even though you noted you just reinstalled XP. I would suggest doing it again. When asked to format your disk don't choose the quick format. Choose the full format.

Obviously this will delete anything on your computer. It will also be necessary to reinstall all your hardware drivers, including network card, chip set, video and audio drivers, etc., so you will need a secondary computer to be able to download the proper drivers to install if you don't have a drivers disk that came with the computer. I don't often recommend reformatting and reinstalling. In my mind it's the very last thing a person should do, but after an entire day of trying every other method I could think of that was the only thing that worked.
  • pucci
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll consider it after wasting many hours trying everything else. I'm pretty sure the HDD is good having run a check on it recently and ran memory checks. I'm hoping its just some stupid thing I can delete. Right now I'm rummaging around in Safe Mode looking at everything. Anybody have any suggestions, all are welcome. Thanks.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts