Reinstalling PC

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have this great idea to reinstall my PC that has the broken software that doesn't let it load.

I'm thinking of buying Windows 7, but I might install Linux (or Ubuntu... whats the difference?) before I actually go out and buy Windows 7... just to try it out... maybe I'll save some money here.

What I need to know... how do I reformat the hard drive and install Linux (or ubuntu) on it? I've never done these kind of things so I'm not sure.

1. Whats the difference between Linux, Unix, and Ubuntu? What each of the OS have that is their specialty? (Like what are they good for/at?)

2. Which one would you recommend for graphic design and web development/programming?

3. How do I reformat the hard drive to make it work with one of those OS?

4. How do I install the OS?

5. I'm thinking of having a partition of one of those and then an another with Windows 7, and another partition where I store my files for Windows 7 so I would be able to reinstall Windows 7 without the need to back up my files... will this work? How would I be able to accomplish this? I've never set up partitions so I need some guidance here.

6. Should I download the 32bit or 64bit Ubuntu/Linux/Unix?

7. Thank you.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
I've being looking at UBUNTU and favoring it... is Linux just the kernel or something? linux.org isn't providing much information/screenshots.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, I got the ubuntu installed on an 8gig flash drive (there's only the os and nothing else) and then in the bios boot order I made it so that it will only boot from the USB... It's giving me the following error:

Quote:
Boot Failure
Reboot and Select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device
Press any key when ready

I checked if the flash drive was in the USB and then looked for the any key... Couldn't find it... Lol just kidding.

Anyway, I pressed the space bar but it gave me the same error... After that I tried the flash drive on all of the USB ports but it still gave me that error. I'm not sure on what to do next, except to wait for tomorrow and burn the cd boot thing... That is my last thing before I buy a new hard drive for this piece of *plum* pc... I'm not happy with this mess lol... More I think about it the more I want ubuntu :)
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you just want to try out Ubuntu, just put in the live CD/DVD and boot from it. You'll get a complete Ubuntu desktop to play around with before installing anything to your hard drive.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I thought about doing that, but since the windows version was broken, I decided to just install Ubuntu... So far, I'm having problems learning Ubuntu, but... I'm getting there :D

I'm really surprised at the patience I got here from you guys :lol:

Thanks though, I just instlaled Ubuntu on the PC and it's all working perfectly fine :D I'm really happy with it (minus some flash incompatibility issues, but I can live with that).

What I'm talking about is that if I watch a vid on youtube and make it fullscreen, it gets jerky like its run on a very slow connection even if the move is buffered 100%... (Loaded all of it).

Anyway to fix that? I mean it's ok, but it could be better if it was working.

My screen resolution is: 1920x1080 (16:9) so the fullscreen vid gets a bit huge (and pixelated :lol: )
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your running onboard (integrated) graphcis it might just be because of that.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

SpooF wrote:
If your running onboard (integrated) graphcis it might just be because of that.

That might be it, is there anyway to check just to be sure?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

To check what?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

If the problem is in fact from the onboard graphics or if it's from something else?

Or is it that if the graphics are integrated then it would definitely do this?

The PC is custom built, so I'm not even sure how the graphics are setup on the motherboard. (I wasn't the one who built the PC). But integrated graphics sound like the default way to setup the graphics. (I don't think it's a dedicated graphics card, although I have no idea the difference on the computer [meaning how it looks]).
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Typically the monitor connection for onboard video is going to be near your USB ports. If it is a dedicated video card it will be lower down in the back.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
Typically the monitor connection for onboard video is going to be near your USB ports. If it is a dedicated video card it will be lower down in the back.

If that is so, then it's a dedicated video card.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Then in that case you may need to update the drivers, couldn't tell you how to do that in Ubuntu. I'm sure Google or the Linux forums could assist you there.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

The last time I used Ubuntu I remember having issues with fullscreen flash, so it's not just you.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
The last time I used Ubuntu I remember having issues with fullscreen flash, so it's not just you.

Were you able to fix that?

How do I check what drivers I check on Ubuntu?

I found this but not sure of which driver it is (if I even got the right topic), and even if I did know which one, I'm not sure on what to do next even after those instruction :lol: Inexperience is a pain in the bottom :|
  • Gosan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Jupiter, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't use Unix as your graphic design OS.

Bogey wrote:
I'm thinking of buying Windows 7

Your first thought is usually the right one....

Bogey wrote:
but I might install Linux (or Ubuntu... whats the difference?)

Linux and Ubuntu are are 'flavors' of Unix. They have minor differences.

Bogey wrote:
What I need to know... how do I reformat the hard drive and install Linux (or ubuntu) on it? I've never done these kind of things so I'm not sure.

It seems you figured this one out :D

Bogey wrote:
1. Whats the difference between Linux, Unix, and Ubuntu? What each of the OS have that is their specialty? (Like what are they good for/at?)

^Answer above^

Bogey wrote:
2. Which one would you recommend for graphic design and web development/programming?

Windows 7(Mac if you have the cash)

Bogey wrote:
3. How do I reformat the hard drive to make it work with one of those OS?

4. How do I install the OS?

It seems your figured these two out :D

Bogey wrote:
5. I'm thinking of having a partition of one of those and then an another with Windows 7, and another partition where I store my files for Windows 7 so I would be able to reinstall Windows 7 without the need to back up my files... will this work? How would I be able to accomplish this? I've never set up partitions so I need some guidance here.

When you install an OS you have options to split up your hard drive into multiple partitions. You can set a different OS for each partition. You've probably seen this when you installed Unix.

Bogey wrote:
6. Should I download the 32bit or 64bit Ubuntu/Linux/Unix?

That depends on your processor. You need a processor that is capable of running a 64bit version of the OS in order to use it. I'd stick with the 32bit either way, but if you want to find out....

1. Open Performance Information and Tools by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Performance Information and Tools.

2. Click View and print details.

3. In the System section, you can see what type of operating system you're currently running under System type. Under 64-bit capable, you can see whether you can run a 64-bit version of Windows. (If your computer is already running a 64-bit version of Windows, you won't see the 64-bit capable listing.)

Bogey wrote:
7. Thank you.

You're Welcome :)
  • Gosan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

As for the Video Streaming, what vid card are you using?

To find out, click start

Right click on computer, click manage

Click on Device Manager

Expand the Display Adapters
And it should be in there.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gosan wrote:
As for the Video Streaming, what vid card are you using?

To find out, click start

Right click on computer, click manage

Click on Device Manager

Expand the Display Adapters
And it should be in there.

Now... where is that 'start' button in Ubuntu? :scratchhead:
  • Gosan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh boy lol, you repartitioned your entire hard drive and didn't keep your windows OS? Humm let me google it, I'm kind of a novice with Unix.

Google ftw....

www[DOT]cyberciti[DOT]biz/faq/linux-tell-which-graphics-vga-card-installed/
  • Gosan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't promise that you will hear from me before Monday, but I'm sure there are people on here that know how to update drivers for a particular graphics card, once you can provide that information for us.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gosan wrote:
Oh boy lol, you repartitioned your entire hard drive and didn't keep your windows OS? Humm let me google it, I'm kind of a novice with Unix.

You probably haven't read my other threads about the particular Windows OS I repartitioned, but it was completely broken. In fact, it was so broken, it wouldn't turn on. That was the whole point of me installing Ubuntu. If my Windows worked, I'd be on Windows.
  • Gosan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

If it wasn't on this thread, and I haven't responded to it, then no I haven't read it. From this particular thread I just thought that you had a corrupted Windows OS, and you needed to reinstall Windows. If that is the case, then don't you have the original CD that came with your computer? If that's not the case, and your reinstall CD is actually broken, as in physically, then it sucks to be you :P

JK

If your reinstall CD is physically broken and you need a new one you can call Microsoft and explain to them the situation and they should send you a new reinstall CD.

Did you find out what graphics card you have?

ps
I think I'm starting to get addicted to this site.....agggg
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Gosan wrote:
I think I'm starting to get addicted to this site.....agggg

I did... look at my post count :lol:

I just come back home so I'll try to find out which graphics card.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
spork wrote:

Were you able to fix that?

No, it was an issue with Flash itself, not my system. My roommates at the time were having the same problems, and it was a known issue to Adobe.

Gosan wrote:

This is not correct. UNIX and Linux are separate operating systems with separate kernels, and there are major differences. Ubuntu is a flavor of Linux, but it is not UNIX.
  • Gosan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Gosan wrote:

This is not correct. UNIX and Linux are separate operating systems with separate kernels, and there are major differences. Ubuntu is a flavor of Linux, but it is not UNIX.

Now you're just getting technical, but I can go there....

To quote from Official Linux kernel README file:

Linux is a Unix clone written from scratch by Linus Torvalds with assistance from a loosely-knit team of hackers across the Net. It aims towards POSIX compliance.

It was originally made to be a light-weight, free version of UNIX by Linus(who was a broke student that couldn't afford UNIX), and it is based on the UNIX source code.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

While Linux might be built from Unix, Ubuntu is build from Linux... wasn't it? That's what I got from these posts.
  • Gosan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeap

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts