Reinstalling video card driver

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I want to try and reinstall my video card driver to see if that fixes my problem but since it came with my computer stock, I don't know where to find the driver. I tried to look for it online and found this but I don't know how reliable that is... I don't want to make the current situation worse.

Is reinstalling a video card driver a viable attempt at fixing the problem or is it pointless?

I have rollbacked the driver to the previous version, and that didn't do anything. Also, after some time of having the computer on and giving the video card (graphics card) some time to heat up a bit, I hear a rattling noise... slight and quite but certainly audible. I have my computer case open just so I can hear the unusual sounds that may be coming from my computer.

If everything fails, I'm thinking about reinstalling my computer again, but that probably won't fix the dieing video card :( I really hope that it's a driver problem and not the actual video card. I can't afford anything right now.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just reran the rating (Windows Experience Index thing) and my graphics went from 4.9 (was that when I bought it) to 5.0 right now even though I have this problem. Just got my computer to turn on after a crash :(

And a question... The minidump file located at %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP... how do I open it? If I try to open it with Notepad++ it tells me that Notepad++ can't open the file...

Also, when I try to open the memory.dmp with WinDbg it tells me that I don't have the required permission to open it and that I should contact the system administrator even though I'm on the only account on this computer and it's an administrative account...

Found a folder called minidump in Windows and there is a *.DMP file in there that was created today around the time of the crash so I'm guessing it's the memory dump that I'm looking for to see what caused the crash, but I can't seem to open it since I don't have the permission to do so, even though when I check the security settings in properties I have all of the permissions set.

I have folders and files all over my computer with the padlock symbol over the icon and some of those files I can't open because I don't have the permission to do so, even though I'm the administrator... Some of those files are simple music files I transferred from one of my hard drives that I had for 5 years already... they didn't have the padlock on them, but now they do... I can still play them, but I find it's weird.

Whats the point of the dump file if I can't open it?
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, I got the driver from here and installed it. Everything seemed to go fine, and when I checked my video card at Device Manager my name for the chipset (I think thats what it is... right a top my graphics card that says ATI Radeon HD 5450) it used to be AMD x750 and now it's ATI Radeon HD 3000. Whats weird is that it's 3000 and not 5450 like it should be. Maybe it's just the chipset...

I think this might be what caused the problem... after I reinstalled the computer it installed the wrong driver for my graphics card, or got the wrong update for the wrong graphics card... I don't know, I'm just keeping my hopes high that my video card is not going bad :/

EDIT: Just redid the rating and the graphics performance went down to 4.9 ...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, this seemed to fix my problems :D WOOHOO!!!

Hope that this would help someone out. For some reason I had the wrong driver installed for my graphics card.
  • Scazy
  • Born
  • Born
  • Scazy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
Well, this seemed to fix my problems :D WOOHOO!!!

Hope that this would help someone out. For some reason I had the wrong driver installed for my graphics card.

Next time whenever you have similar problem, try a program that is called Fixio Driver Finder. It will scan your device and provide it with the missing drivers. :iconthumbright:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts