Remote Access in XP, sp2

• rpantel
  • rpantel

Post 3+ Months Ago

This question is with regard with WAN and networking issues.

Setting up the local networking and shared resources is a breeze using a common Workgroup name between the sharing computers. Now, however, it has become necessary for me to occaissionally be off site, yet still have need for my office's files and hardware.

My understanding of the process is that I would have to change all of my computers from being in a common Workgroup to a common Domain. Since my domain is hosted by NetSol and not by me, what would I put in to my local computers' Domain Name slot? Do I make up a new domain name? Would that new name have to be registered somewhere? Would I have to set up a formal server in my office?

Since I have a dynamic IP, does that change things?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

First of all are these work PC's that are in a workgroup?

Second, in order to join PC's to a domain you need to have a domain controller running and have access to join PC's to the domain.

Who is NetSol? Is that the company you work for?
  • rpantel
  • rpantel

Post 3+ Months Ago

At present, yes, all of these PC's are in a single workgroup ALLOFUS.

What is a Domain Controller? How do the PC's gain access to the domain? As I said, we have been doing essentially a peer to peer by using a common workgroup name.

NetSol is Network Solutions out of Pennsylvania. They host our web pages and our email.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

A domain controller is a server running Windows 2000, 2003 or 2008 that has been promoted to a domain controller. A domain controller controls access to domain resources. It handles such things as logon credentials, computer names, access controls and much more. Since you don't have one you cannot join PC's to a domain.

Your website has nothing to do with a computer domain.

For remote access you may want to look into setting up a VPN or using software like UltraVNC or PCAnywhere.
  • rpantel
  • rpantel

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK. Thanks for the insight. Since I have not created a domain controller, I will not follow that path.

Obviously, using a package like PCAnywhere (which I used 10 years ago or so) is easy. But, I would like to spend like no money to implement my goal of remote access. Would you be able to point me in the right direction to learn about VPN creation? I have an appropriate router on our office end that allows VPN creation, tunnelling, etc.

Thanks.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

What type of router is it? Name and model?

UltraVNC is free.
  • rpantel
  • rpantel

Post 3+ Months Ago

Linksys WRT45G
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That router does not support VPN's by default. You would have to use a modified firmware that is not supported by Linksys to enable VPN.

A cheap solution would be to use RDP.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... intro.mspx

You will have to forward this port through your router.

http://www.portforward.com/english/rout ... esktop.htm
  • rpantel
  • rpantel

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you. I will give those links a try and will get back to you to tell you of my travails or victories.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts