remote control program/ application

• fonsy2000
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi everyone,

I was wondering if somebody here know if there is a best program that I can take control the computer even when you need to reboot it from distance and stay connected for windows. I need it for my parents that they are far away and need some help with computers.

better if it is open source

thanks
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

You will need a hardware device to stay remotely connected during boot. I use Avocent KVM's at work for this purpose. I can get into the BIOS and RAID configs while sitting at my desk.

http://www.avocent.com/DSR_Switches.aspx

They are not cheap either.

Most remote software will disconnect as soon as your reboot the remote system.
  • fonsy2000
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

thank you for your answer but I ask myself for instance, how firefox browser know to restart the website that were before boot?

it isn't the same? I thought something like that

thank you again
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's not the same. Although it won't do what Grinch's suggestion will do, UtlraVNC will let you do most things remotely. The only thing it won't do is let you access it when it's rebooting. You'll just have to tell your parents to inform you when it's back to the login screen.

It's open source and free
http://www.uvnc.com/
  • fonsy2000
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

thank you ATNO,

I know that app vnc but I want to find something as I told here (rebooting).

A friend work in customer service from home with a company call arise.com, something like that, when she has a problem with her computer, she go to company web and ask for tech support, then, a technician log in her computer and they are available to reboot the machine and stay log in tech support, I checked her computer and she doesn't have any specials on it.

thank you for the suggestion
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well if you want to stay remotely connected during reboot, then I think you are going to seriously have to consider grinch's post. You can't do that without a hardware device, and if you are only trying to help computer illiterate parents, then UltraVNC is still your cheapest, easiest solution, outside of training your parents to tell you when the login screen comes back up.

You absolutely can't stay connected remotely depending on TCP/IP. It takes hardware intervention and as Grinch told you in his post "They are not cheap"
  • jammer2552
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

TeamViewer
CrossLoop

Some other popular, more user-friendly programs, since your parents probably don't want to have to learn UltraVNC. :)
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have used Crossloop to help a family friend a few times. I really like it. But you still run into the problem of losing your connection upon reboot.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts