Remote Desktop through website.

• Tyler_durden
  • Tyler_durden
  • Loc: calgary, AB

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am curious if anyone knows of a website that would allow me to log onto my windows xp machine remotely without installing the microsoft client.. thus hiding the port/access.... yes I am at work :lol:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you trying to access your home machine from work, or your work machine from home? If it's the latter, you'll need to see if your admin has anything in place that will let you do that.

I'm assuming it's the former in which case check realvnc.com
  • Tyler_durden
  • Tyler_durden

Post 3+ Months Ago

it is the prior... home machine from work.... just don't have sufficient privelages to install the client on the 2k machine I am on.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have priveleges to install "normal" software, install the VNC server on your home machine and the VNC Viewer on your work machine. You'll need to know the IP address for your home computer. If you computer is networked through a router at home, you may need to open the port on your router that your home machine is using and include that in the connection IP address.

If you can't install the viewer at work, you may need to get permission from your admin and ask him to assist you in installing it.
  • Tyler_durden
  • Tyler_durden

Post 3+ Months Ago

hence the question... do you know of a web-based app that would allow me to simply put in the ip/user/pass and access my machine, I know there is one out there, but am unable to find it. I believe its java based. any help would be appreciated.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not aware of it. You may be thinking of VNC, because it is java-based but it's not a web-browser-based app per se. You have to install the server and viewer respectively to be able to use it. I haven't seen anything that simply uses a web browser.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

VNC will allow you to operate through a browser (there's a screenshot on their site demonstrating this)...

You install the VNC server on the machine you want to control, then just load up the view from a website to access it.

Or, you can use the dedicated VNCViewer application. It's small enough to carry around on a floppy.

Here's the new VNC URL
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, that's cool Axe. I simply use the viewer. I didn't look that deeply into it. Thanks for the updated info.
  • Tyler_durden
  • Tyler_durden

Post 3+ Months Ago

you need to install web-remote through iis in windows xp... then in your browser go to the site http://yourip/tsweb and your in....
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Then do that :)

Although, I'd probably go with Apache over IIS, even if this was its only use.
  • Tyler_durden
  • Tyler_durden

Post 3+ Months Ago

k its working to the point that I can see my site for logon purposes... but cannot click "connect" :( what a pain in the ass

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts