remote desktop without windows xp

• twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

is there any possible way to RDC to a computer with win 2000 or me 0r anything below with only using the remote program by microsoft?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

VNC :)
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok but that did not really awnser my question

see the thing is that I'm at my friends most of the time and he wants a way to connect to his computer

i port forwarded 3389 to his network ip address

and i got on his brothers and i tried it and it didn't work

friends computer:win 2000
friends brother:win ME
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

So have a look at VNC. It works with all versions of Windows and most Macs & Unix/Linux boxes. You can control any compatible system from any other compatible system (I use it here on my LAN to control all my linux boxes from a single windows machine)...

It's been around for years, is a tried & trusted piece of software (and is actually included on the CDs for most Linux distros these days).

Just because it's Micro$oft doesn't mean it's better, so what's wrong with looking at a free alternative?
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

if u go though the thing of microsoft remote desktop it says just insert the cd and it should work. i remember that i think i saw it when i was fooling around w/ it
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe's sugestion on VNC IS THE BEST. I've played around with RDC, but VNC works better and is far less painless. All you have to do is install the server on the remote machine and the Viewer on your workstation.

The only thing that complicates it is where you are connecting to. For example, from home to connect to work, I have to establish a VPN connection to bypass the firewall and security, and then connect via VNC using the internal network IP of the remote machine. It works like a charm and on all platforms (best I can tell - including MAC, Linux and Novell).

In my opinion it's the way to go. I'm sitting here right now looking at my work desktop as if I'm sitting at work.

realvnc.com -- open source - i.e. free
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
VNC :)

I argee with AXE to, i have a file cabnet i controll with vnc, also it's great to have for helping diagnose PC problems from afar. not only can you tell them whats wrong with it, you can literally SHOW them whats wrong with it. :D
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

how about anyplace control
does anybody know about that
i tried the VNC thing last night and got nowhere
i was trying to VNC to my friends with the server running on his
and the viewer on mine

i'm not a Remote man but do you have to run the viewer in listen mode in or order to work/

also does aol interfere with any remote connections
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

knowing aol they probably would block the ports.

I personally avoid VNC and use TightVNC because it has built-in compression which gets the frame rate up a bit.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, when I suggested VNC, it's like suggesting Linux as an OS. There's many different distros of Linux, and there's many different versions & variants of VNC. One word encompasses all. Which one works best for him ultimately depends on his needs and his setup.

TightVNC is a nice release though :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts