Remote Shutdown Computer On Lan

• nova
  • nova

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello again,

I have spent the last 3 hour trying to force a pc on my network to shutdown remotly.

I have tryed the cmd command shutdown -s -f -m\\aopen-comp2

the command shutdown -s -f works it forces the computer that it is excuted on to shutdown.

But the remote shutdown command wont work !!!

I have downloaded 8 different programs that are suposted to shutdown a selected computer on a LAN running win xp but none of them work the computer I want to shutdown shows up when I hit browse inside the programs but when I hit shutdown nothing happens.

I have disabled my software firewall norton antivirus and personal firewall on both computers on my LAN

I have also tryed using compmgmt.msc -> connecting to the remote pc on my network (aopen-comp2) -> then selecting propertys ->advance and i get an error saying WMI :axcess denied

And now I turn to u !

Could my Broadband Router being stopping the command ???

Any ideas why I cannot remotly shutdown a computer on my LAN.
Tnx Nova
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ShEDeViL
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm pretty sure that if you use a program called Real VNC (a remote desktop program) to connect to the computer that you can then shut it down remotely.

http://www.realvnc.com/
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Atno/TW suggested that program to someone else and I tried it and it works great.
  • Tom the Great
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: B.C., Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Doesn't windows XP have a bilt in thing to shut off remote computers. It's the service that lots of those worms used, and it displays a message and has a count down timer then shuts the computer off. Kids do it at school for fun.

I don't have XP, so that's all I can tell you....
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

The RPC Service? If so i think that can only be used when a bufferflow occurs.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

As SecureITGroup suggested, VNC works. I use it pretty much daily now. However the downside is is that once the computer is turned off, you can't turn it back on remotely. VNC will not let you reconnect until the computer is in a login state. I use VNC to reboot when necessary. Once the reboot reaches a login prompt it is accessable again. If you shut it down, you physically have to go turn it on again.
  • nova
  • nova

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ive used VNC Virtual {Network Computing} it is an excellent program but in order for you to use it you have to have the VNC server running on the pc you want to shutdown.This would work perfectly for my home network but not so good in other cases.

Im really interested in finding out why the cmd command

shutdown -s -f -m\\remotecomputersname

Dosent work has anyone else tryed this command or Is it just not working on my network ??
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suggest tightvnc
http://tightvnc.org/ (i think)
over realvnc because its optomized to work even on really low bandwith links
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This freeware proggy might help you:
http://www.beyondlogic.org/solutions/sh ... utdown.htm
  • bkummer
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Butler, Pennsylvania

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anto's suggestion for VNC is the way to go. I use this program everyday! Like he said you can't turn it back on after you perform a shutdown.
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Talking about how to turn a computer back on while it is off. I have seen whe WOL (Wake on LAN)feature, my computer are all equiped with it. How would that be used?
  • norie
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • norie
  • Loc: bako

Post 3+ Months Ago

there's also a KVM switch: http://www.kvms.com

and there is a way to remote shutdown a computer. there's one more command that you're missing before 'shutdown -s -f -m \\computer'. I'll try and remember; I've done it before.
  • norie
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • norie
  • Loc: bako

Post 3+ Months Ago

and sometimes you can use this:

Code: [ Select ]
tsshutdn 10 /server:computername /powerdown /v

10 being the amount of seconds

but i think it only works on win2k and xp
  • Shadow. Cyberton
  • Shadow. Cyberton

Post 3+ Months Ago

I do agree that real vnc is a terrific program that even I use daily. However, as mentioned before by some of the other members of this forum you cant use it to restart a machine. nevertheless, there are some other options to consider; You can have real vnc running as your means to connect to other machines on your network or with XP based machines there is a command called mstsc that you can use to connect to other pcs on your network as well. As for restarting a machine that you've shutdown,, explore your NIC's or Network Interface Card's properties on all of your machines to see if they have WOL enabled . WOL or Wake On Lan is a hardware based function that uses a MAC address to activate a machine remotely. If you decide to use mstsc, you machine must be password enabled and the IP or Internet Protocol address. Need help with any of this? just IM me on yahoo or AIM as I am on alot anyway.
  • _Knight271
  • Born
  • Born
  • _Knight271

Post 3+ Months Ago

So can anyone tell me a command that works (through command.exe or cmd (accessed through 'run')) to remotely shut down a computer on the same network. Or tell me a program that can do it for you, but one that doesn't have to be installed on the server comp or target computer.

Cheers :D
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

SecureITGroup wrote:
Talking about how to turn a computer back on while it is off. I have seen whe WOL (Wake on LAN)feature, my computer are all equiped with it. How would that be used?

You need a program to send a wakeup frame across your network.

A wake-up frame is a special data packet containing the Ethernet address of the remote network card. Somewhere in this frame should exist a byte stream (magic sequence) composed by, at the least, 16 times the repetition of the Ethernet address and preceded by a synchronization stream of 6 bytes of FFh.

For example, if the MAC address of your computer was 01:02:03:04:05:06, then the following packet would turn it on:

FFFFFFFFFFFF010203040506010203040506010203040506010203040506010203040506010203040506010203040506010203040506010203040506010203040506010203040506010203040506010203040506010203040506010203040506010203040506
  • kyro_02
  • Born
  • Born
  • kyro_02

Post 3+ Months Ago

This one works for me on XP to XP....

tsshutdn 1 /server:computer_name /powerdown /v

Where '1' is, is the delay in seconds before it shuts down....

where 'computer_name' is, is the computer name that you want to shutdown.

If you don't got the access, something like this will come up:

Error opening Terminal server computer_name <-- where computer_name is, would be the computer name that you put in the command line...
Error [5]:Access is denied.
  • Ishii
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ishii
  • Loc: Gilbert, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

wha... this topic is more than 6 months old...?
  • cawstonio135
  • Born
  • Born
  • cawstonio135

Post 3+ Months Ago

nova wrote:
Hello again,

I have spent the last 3 hour trying to force a pc on my network to shutdown remotly.

I have tryed the cmd command shutdown -s -f -m\\aopen-comp2

the command shutdown -s -f works it forces the computer that it is excuted on to shutdown.

But the remote shutdown command wont work !!!

I have downloaded 8 different programs that are suposted to shutdown a selected computer on a LAN running win xp but none of them work the computer I want to shutdown shows up when I hit browse inside the programs but when I hit shutdown nothing happens.

I have disabled my software firewall norton antivirus and personal firewall on both computers on my LAN

I have also tryed using compmgmt.msc -> connecting to the remote pc on my network (aopen-comp2) -> then selecting propertys ->advance and i get an error saying WMI :axcess denied

And now I turn to u !

Could my Broadband Router being stopping the command ???

Any ideas why I cannot remotly shutdown a computer on my LAN.
Tnx Nova

hello, my name is jonny.

I discovered that you could also do this:
1)open a new command prompt
2)type in "shutdown -i" [without speach marks]
3)press ENTER
-A window should appear after a few seconds.

From there you can browse for a computer connected to the same network you are...

...But...

I've tried it and a popup came up and said "The current directory service is unavailable."

So I'm stuck on what to do.

Can anybody help...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts