Removing dual boot.

• Frostbyt3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Corpus Christi, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

I originally had XP Pro x86 installed first and dual boot set up with Windows 7 x64 after XP (XP Being the first/main installation).

I no longer require anything from XP and would like to remove it. Windows is saying I cannot reformat the partition but from what I'm reading around would be a bad idea because Windows 7 is using the bootloader (something like that).

I don't want to have to reinstall 7 again and reformat the entire drive.

I was planning on just removing the XP partition and making windows 7 the main OS, formatting it as free space, then using Acronis Disk Manager to use the free space to add to the Windows 7 installation.

Is this viable?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would be concerned about the boot loader too. Also, any windows OS likes to be in the first partition.
  • Frostbyt3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Corpus Christi, TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don2007 wrote:
I would be concerned about the boot loader too. Also, any windows OS likes to be in the first partition.

Exactly. That's the problem. I'm trying to get rid of XP so the drive can be dedicated to Windows 7, but it doesn't let me format, and I am hesitant on forcing a format with linux or something because the last thing I want to do is have to reinstall windows 7, etc.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are going to have to take a chance one way or another. You could boot the machine with qparted to see how the partitions are listed. Maybe the boot partition will be listed separately.
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think you are going to have to take the chance of reformatting the drive, just take a back up of the machine first that way if you are forced to totaly re-install windows 7 you wont have lost anything important to you.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts