Rename Files To All Lowercase

• conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have about fifty font files, which have assorted uppercase letters in the names, both in the filename itself and the extension. I want to upload them to my site, but Apache gets sort of angry when it comes to capital letters and filenames, and thus, I want to convert them all to lowercase. Is there any sort of automated way I can do this in Windows, seeing as how I have a large number of files?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Admittedly, it's late and I'm only half following your question, but I think the case comes into play if you are using the fonts for websites. Might want to think twice before doing this (not sure---just a caution)
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm curious. ...how are you using these fonts? ...how is Apache referencing the fonts?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

If they are indeed for web embedding, you're best going with Micro$oft WEFT, although, it's IE only.

For any other browser, the fonts would have to be available for local download & installation - in which case, it wouldn't matter what case the files are compared to the declaration in the HTML page as Windows isn't case-sensitive anyway.

Although, other case-sensitive operating systems such as Linux do provide a degree of TTF support.
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

The fonts are freeware and credited appropriately. I'm not embedding them (eh, what a nightmare) I'm offering some of my favorites as a resource for others. They have capitals in odd places and such in the names, and if they were all lowercase, it would much easier to link for download. That's all.
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Aw...no one has any idea? *sniffle*
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have created various programs to do simple things like this, If you are interested I can supply you with the source code of one so you can have it vetted or vet it yourself before compiling. I had a quick glance over the batch file commands to see if there was anything good in there but didn't notice anything, Isn't there an option in windows to make all files lowercase ? Not sure but I seem to remember something years ago(95 anyone?)..

Alkatr0z
  • conorific
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm going to sound really dumb...but...what's vetting? And compiling? :shock:
  • twoclones
  • Born
  • Born
  • twoclones
  • Loc: Benton City, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can upload your files to the server using Cute FTP with it set to force lowercase. This will auto-change all uppercase characters in both the file name and extension to lower case...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts