resetting the product key when windows is already activated

• roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: BKNY

Post 3+ Months Ago

embarrassing, but...
i got a computer with windows already in it... some hardware changes down the road, i had some activation problems...
didn't really want to pay for windows all over again, but i was never given a disk or COA in the first place, so i just worked around the activation a little (bad bad... don't do it again)...
well... now, i want everthing to be legit... for my conscience above all...
so i've bought a copy of winxp pro...
now i want to change the product key...
unfortunately, the only directions i can find about switching the product key involve using the activation screen and my version is already activated...

i can't even figure out how to deactivate it (i've already messed with the oobe timer and whatnot)... no matter what, the version of windows i have on here right now is convinced that it's legal, but i know it's not...

any tips on deactivating windows or anything like that... without uninstalling it... so i can put in this new, legit product key?

peace
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

umm im not sure but if it came with it there should be a sticker on the side of the case is where the code would be and calling microsoft could help or you can go to Start......> all programs..........> accessories.....>system tools.........Activate windows that might work...... im not sure tho
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

maybe i wasn't clear enought:
i have a product key sitting right in front of me...
also my windows is already activated... i worked that out some months ago through less-than-legitimate means...
now i want to DE-activate it, so i can replace the illegitimate product key with the new one i paid for that's sitting right in front of me...

thanks.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

like i said call microsoft see what they can do for you
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.petri.co.il/change_the_seria ... ows_xp.htm
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is a program that has been made for this if you don't want to use Lucassix method and edit the registry.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2745.html

Personally I'd do it myself with the registry because I don't trust programs designed to hack the registry. But if you looking for something quick and simple this should do the trick.
  • roarmeow
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

what i ended up doing, if anyone's interested... though it is a pretty odd request (i mean, heck, if i busted the wpa so thoroughly, why worry about getting a legit version, right??? well... taxes.)

anyways...
i deleted the wpa.dbl and wpa.bak (or rather moved them to another folder) outta the windows/system32 directory...
then i busted up the MSOOBE jobby job...
after a little bit of really twisting up windows like that it eventually asked me to reactivate, at which point i was able to put in the new product key...

and now i can do all kindsa great stuff, like install sp2... whoopdie friggin' doo...
but i do feel a little better and have a tax writeoff...

hot stuff.

thanks for lookin' into it y'all...

peace.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts