{Resolved}shadow copies

• righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please can anyone tell me how to delete the shadow copies of my files that windows vista creates, I know how to turn off the shadow copy feature, but my HDD is still just as full as it was before, where are these files on the HDD so I can just delete them manually? I would like to install SP1, but there's not enough space on a 20GB HDD ...
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Microsoft wrote:
If you use Disk Cleanup to delete restore points after a restore, Disk Cleanup will also delete shadow copies.

http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/w ... vista.html
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
Microsoft wrote:
If you use Disk Cleanup to delete restore points after a restore, Disk Cleanup will also delete shadow copies.

http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/w ... vista.html

strange, I actually did that, but it made no difference whatsoever to the amount of space that I had left on that drive, and I could still right click on the drive and click on "previous versions" and there was something ... okay, so this doesn't work then ...

another question then ... is there a freeware disk partition manager with which I could just increase that partition without having to format it, because searching for it on google I found quite a few but they didn't work on vista ...
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you restart after running Disk Cleanup?
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch2171 wrote:
Did you restart after running Disk Cleanup?

No, I didn't think about that ... I will do that as soon as I get home and let you know what happens ... Thanks for the advice ...
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You need to pay attention to these steps:
Quote:
When Disk Cleanup finishes, I recommend that you restart your computer and consider the two additional options it provides:
  • Program Clean Up helps you free up space by removing programs that you do not use.
  • System Restore and Shadow Copy Clean up helps you free up space by removing all but the most recent restore point and shadow copy.
I recommend backing up and restarting your computer before using these cleanup options to ensure your computer is in a bootable state, that there are no updates that need to be applied, and that there are no current errors that need to be resolved. You can use Disk Cleanup to help you clean up programs, as well as system restore and shadow copies, by completing these steps:
  1. Click Start, type "cleanmgr" in the search box and then press Enter.
  2. In the Disk Cleanup Options dialog box, select Files From All Users On This Computer.
  3. Select a disk to clean up and then click OK.
  4. In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, select the More Options tab as shown in Figure 4.
  5. To remove all system restore and shadow copies except for the current restore point, click Clean Up under System Restore And Shadow Copies. When prompted to confirm that you want to delete this data, click Delete.
  6. To find programs to clean up, click Clean Up under Programs And Features. On the Programs And Features page in Control Panel, select a program that you want to remove and then click Uninstall.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ah, okay now I see where the problem comes in:
Quote:
all but the most recent

this is what takes up all my space ... do you think there would be a way to remove the most recent ones aswell? ... I have never in my life used this and see it as quite a waste of space ...
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not really sure.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

All right, I sorted this out ... sort of ... I used windows Vista disk management utility (exactly the same as in windows server 2003) to just re-partition my C: drive and I made it 30GB bigger ... so it doesn't matter anymore ...

Resolved.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts