1 router, 2 PC w/XP Home. How to protect folders from .....

• yuenie
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I have 2 pc's, both are running XP Home. One is mine and the other one is my bro. I found I had some folders set as shared by accidents and my bro can screw up my files there. Is there anyway he cannot even view ANY of files inside my pc?

We are in a same workgroup and SSID in a wireless router/accesspoint. I don't mind if I can be totally invisible in the workgroup. :)

Thanks in advance.
  • devilwood
  • Silver Member
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your bro should only be able to view the shared folders over the network. Even then you could change those folders to read only and he could not change any of the files but only view. Just right click on your shared folders and go to SHARE... and you can change settings there. You may do some searches to see how to display all folders you're sharing if you maybe setup some shared folders that you forgot about.

Hope this helps a little. Maybe someone else can chime in that's had more experience on configuring existing networks. These are usually settings that I typically set during setup.
  • HelenBray
  • Born
  • Born
  • HelenBray

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can always rename your work group something else. As long as you know his computers name you can view files via UNC. Just unshared the folders or set the permissions to read only. Nothing can get screwed up then. Or you can even go one step further, add another router behind the router and get on separate vlans. He wont see nothing.
  • yuenie
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah... another router is my last resort as I am broke .

Thanks everyone.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just unshare the folders.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts