safe mode does not work

• jefvv
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jefvv

Post 3+ Months Ago

8) I sometimes use safe mode for diagnostic purposes. Every time I try to go into safe mode I wind up at the same boot option screen. The message i get is irql_not_less_or_equal and a stop 0x0000000a(memory addresses)message

The funny thing is i can go into vga mode and normal mode with no problems. I have this problem before xp sp2 and after xp sp2 .Gateway and microsoft never heard of this. Do i have to reformat my hard drive or can i fix this a different way. I checked for virus and spyware and have none
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello jefvv, welcome to ozzu.

If there is any additional information in the message you receive, please post it here.

We'll try to figure out the problem. :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This might help:
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/...

//edit Wow -- that's one heck of a long link!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

More info. The indication I'm reading in your post is you only get this when trying to enter safemode. Correct? Do you get this error on normal boot? Remember that Safemode only loads a "minimal" amount of drivers and there is perhaps the possibility that a driver it's trying to load is incompatible with your current OS version.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just had a similar problem on a computer at work. Different stop error and message. Mine was stop: 0x0000007B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

But the scenario was that I couldn't boot normally, and couldn't boot to safe mode or even safe mode with command prompt. All I could do was put in the Win2K install disc and run the recovery console from there. I was then able to run chkdsk which found and fixed several corrupted files.

When Windows rebooted normally finally, the installshield wizard for an abnormally aborted iTunes installation completed. Apparently that abortedinstallation caused some file corruption.
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've seen this 1000x ,it's tuff to track down somtimes .
Do you get to the point were you are just about in to
safemode (after you have already picked from the Safemode menue) and already have booted into the one you have picked ,and just before it inialized ,it does not let you ! and you reboot into normal Windows ? almost better to do a 20min windows repair .
  • jefvv
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jefvv

Post 3+ Months Ago

I cant use repair because i would would be putting old fies from the original windows cd replacing newer files in sp 2.

I think i will live with it and when i have a major problem and i cant get into safe mode i will reformat and reinstall. and thenl use NTI drive image backup software so i wont have to spend hours any more reinstalling.
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

No repair doesn't touch your SP2 files .
what it does is look at everything and only
makes repairs to the corrupt files ,SP2 will
be fine.

Your not going to reinstall windows ,just repair.
ever do one ?
  • jefvv
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jefvv

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol: This is a update to my safe mode problem . if you install Incd version 43.oo or above you might have a problem getting into safe mode as you will get irq and memory error. I Itried xp repair , did not work so i reformated my hdd .and iintalled one prog at a time testing and making restore points and found that incd 43.00 caused my problem. This may only affect my computer but any one who has this ver. should check their safe mode bootup
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have it ,don't no what version ,I never install it !
Just Nero Burning Rom

download this little tool and it will remove all traces ,including Registry
Of any 3 third party CD software (as in ...incd)

http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip

It's called CDGone ,then after you run it reboot ,what will happen is
the device manager will find new hardware (wich is your CD-ROM)
don't be alarmed...Just keep clicking next ,till you click finish.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the update jefvv. :) We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback on the problem.
  • jefvv
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • jefvv

Post 3+ Months Ago

:o I spoke to nero tech support on safe mode boot problem. They said that nero incd 4300, 4303 has a major bug which prevents a lot of couputers from booting into safe mode. Tech support said to go back to older version of incd and a fix will be in the next update. Tech support said all their computers tested had this problem and a lot of people were calling

Shame nero could not post this problem. they never answered my email and i had to pay for a credit card call
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I quit installing InCD. The first two times I tried, I swore off it. More glitches and problems than I wanted to deal with. Unless they fix the bugs, I'm never using it.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Merged :)
  • dc
  • Born
  • Born
  • dc

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello, all!

I just joined this forum to post this reply. I've had the same problem with not being able to boot into safe mode. I got the same STOP: error (0x0000000a with similar parameters) when I tried to boot into any non-normal boot mode. After reading some posts on this thread, and others around the 'net, I decided I would try to update InCD first. The newest version (as of about 1 hr. ago--4:30 CST) , 4.3.0.5 is up, and upon installing and rebooting, I was able to once again enter safe mode.

When I first discovered this problem about 3 weeks ago, and did a Google search, I found absolutely nothing. Of course the MS knowledge base was of little help, as this particular stop error seems to be the most vague of all. I'm just glad I didn't have a critical need to enter safe mode during this time, and I'm really thankful I didn't wipe out my HDD and start over.

Anyway, those who have this problem and still want to use Nero InCD, update to 4305 and you should be okay.
  • hrk
  • Born
  • Born
  • hrk
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

:banghead: I cannot believe it! All day long I tried to figure out why my new notebook shows this crazy behavior. And as others before me, I search the KB at M$ and I search Google. - Nothing! Nothing really helpful.

But than I found this thread by JEFVV! :D

There is only one thing to say: THANK YOU!!!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

:handsup:

I love it when a plan comes together! Glad you found your answer at OZZU! Welcome!
  • hrk
  • Born
  • Born
  • hrk
  • Loc: Cologne, Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

The story goes on. :hmm:

I followed DC´s advise and downloaded version 4.3.0.5
After installing it (without uninstalling v 4.2.1.16 first) I got another bluescreen, whenever I shutdown the PC: 0xC4
I tried different things to get rid of it, but I didn´t suceed. :(

Finally I restored an earlier backup that I had taken before with Drive Image 7.0
Now my new notebook works fine. :)
And I learned something about planning backups, and that DI7.0 (the current Version is Ghost 9.0) is a very good and helpful tool. :study:

And InCD will never again touch any PC I have do deal with. :twisted:
  • Thankful
  • Born
  • Born
  • Thankful

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello All,

I also followed dc's advice after uninstalling video hardware and drivers but still not being able to boot into safemode. It was most disturbing as I was also able to boot into XP normally or using only basevideo option in boot.ini file. I tried disabling all startups and disabling hardware acceleration but nothing helped till I uninstalled Nero's InCD.

Thank you dc!
  • liltman
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • liltman
  • Loc: England, Hartlepool, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess you all don't need this now but i had the same problem months back, well simular, it was the same error message sept it did it wenever i turned my computer on, if i tried to load the computer it froze, so i tried to reinstall windows because it also froze when i tried to repair it, it gets to the end of formatting and then goes to a blue screen and shows the error message like in this thread, i got about 8 different ones though, i did lots of different things for months, it was so annoying, and i stripped my computer down taking each piece of hardware out at a time and then trying it, until i got to the annnnnoyingggg motherboard which the computer won't run without!!! so i got another motherboard and tested the motherboard and the processor, the processor worked and then i got a spare one and tried that, still worked, so it left only the motherboard so my dad took the motherboard back cuz it was still on warranty and the man said the motherboard was fried, totally gone, we got a new one now and my computer is fine again :D this post might help incase u lot start gettin more of these problems cuz my computer was fine one day then i just got a lot of these errors at once and they are so annoying, i had no one to help me or nothing and i had to strip my pc down all because i had nothing to do lol
  • v-2tanyc
  • v-2tanyc

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would not run a repair on windows xp with sp2 if the disk does not have sp2, this may or may not cause problems. It is rescommended uninstalling sp2 then run the repair and then reinstall sp2
when uninstalling sp2, after words if you are not going to run a repair, I would run a sfc /scannow from the command prompt
repair install whipes out all windows updates so it will thought your SP2 files
  • PSLogic
  • Born
  • Born
  • PSLogic
  • Loc: New England, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am so pleased to find this posting! :D I had this safe mode boot problem and looked into the InCD cause and, sure enough, that is exactly what worked. I actually uninstalled InCD and, bam, I was able to boot into safe mode just fine.
So major kudos to either JefW or dc, who ever discovered this first, to doing all the hard work!
  • guest1
  • Born
  • Born
  • guest1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

I too had the same issue with booting into Safe Mode. After I disabled auto restart, I noticed the irql_not_less_or_equal error, and spent a good bit of time looking around to find the problem, until I found your post. I realized that while rebuilding my system, I had gone ahead and installed the Nero OEM product that came with my old DVD writer. Obviously the InCD version was quite old.

Just updated to the latest versions of all the Nero programs and viola, I am able to boot into Safe Mode now! Bad of Nero, but I was impressed by the updates. Very smooth, and free too!

Over 4 years since you posted your message, and it has still helped somebody out. Long live the internet! Long Live diligent computer enthusiasts! Long live the spirit of returning to a forum to post the results of your work so that others may share or learn from your solution.

Many thanks, jefvv. Many thanks dc. I too just joined this forum for the sole purpose of posting this reply.
  • Donkfather
  • Born
  • Born
  • Donkfather

Post 3+ Months Ago

well i have kind of a same problem : my computer worked properly befor accesing an .exe file.. when i opened it the blue screen apeared and since then the windows can't start same blue screen appears .. even the safe mode doesn't want to start.. blue screen: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL sorry for possible mistakes

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 24 posts