Scour Google Redirect Virus.

• Contingent
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Contingent
  • Loc: Wisconsin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello, as always I come to you intelligent folks when my dearest computer gets a cough. Today, I have the Scour redirect from Google virus. I am fairly PC savvy, but this one eludes me. I scanned with AdAware and Spybot (Had them before I even checked the sticky). I had to get HJT back on the machine, it must have slipped my mind when I factory'd a while back. Anyways, I ran the log through the online evaluator, but I don't necessarily understand what the results are telling me, and I figured you could help me with that. I will be checking back frequently, so any questions/instructions will be carried out rapidly. Thanks for anyone who volunteers to help, and a special kudos to whoever rids me of this.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is news to me that google is redirecting a virus.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. Make sure your Windows updates are up to date!
2. Download/Install "ComboFix" from the following link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/downloa ... s/combofix
3. Save the file to your desktop (or where ever you prefer to save temp files).
4. Close ALL APPLICATIONS (browsers, chat programs, email, etc)
5. Run ComboFix. It may look like the application has frozen at launch, this is expected behavior, let it run! It will eventually launch a DOS command-prompt (blue background) and run through a series of steps (25-ish if I remember correctly) which take about 10 minutes (time may vary based on the specs of your machine).
6. Once the steps are complete, it will automatically reboot your machine.
7. Once your machine boots back up DO NOT OPEN ANY APPLICATIONS. The ComboFix application will automatically launch itself again (blue background DOS window), and run through a few steps.

Combofix has a tendency to scare people who have never used it before but I have used it many times to fix other people's PCs. I quick Google search will lead you to other various methods but I have faith in ComboFix. There is a detailed guide at the linked site on how to use it.
  • Contingent
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Contingent

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can't update Windows Defender, it fails and spits out an error code. (Sorry I haven't been here, borrowed the laptop to a friend.)
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post the error code then :)
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Contingent wrote:
Can't update Windows Defender, it fails and spits out an error code. (Sorry I haven't been here, borrowed the laptop to a friend.)

Did you get the original problem sorted?
  • Contingent
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Contingent

Post 3+ Months Ago

No I have not, Grinch. I was just going to run through the steps, and I've already hit a snag on step 1 is all. The error code I receive is as follows:

Code 8007007E "Windows Update encountered an unknown error."

When I open up Windows Defender, it reports the service is down, and when I try to start it, it fails. I imagine whatever nasty I have is disabling Defender.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Skip it and just run ComboFix. Having Windows Defender up to date isn't going to make or break this. Be sure to read through the guide though:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofi ... e-combofix
  • sergeyL
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • sergeyL

Post 3+ Months Ago

how it can be so that google may redirect a virus!nonsense but it look that it is true. i do not know this, thanks for the share, point to be aware of.
  • Contingent
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Contingent

Post 3+ Months Ago

Google isn't redirecting anything, to be clear. It is a virus that is locally redirecting me when I click a result. I will run Combofix again. It seems to me it stalls after the reboot, how long should that portion of it take?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ComboFix can take a while to run. Personally, I walk away from it or go to bed while it is running.

sergeyL wrote:
how it can be so that google may redirect a virus!nonsense but it look that it is true. i do not know this, thanks for the share, point to be aware of.

This virus messes with what happens when you click a link in Google's search results and redirects you to some other site, this isn't a virus perpetrated by Google.
  • Contingent
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Contingent

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright, I ran it. It spit out a log file. Now what?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can post the log here. Are you still having issues?
  • Contingent
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Contingent

Post 3+ Months Ago

The ComboFix log, or HJT log?
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Either one will do.