Screenshots

• risingsun
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

If i want to show what is on my desktop in its "entireness" how do i do that. I was reading the forum, "show us you desktop and i was wondering how they get the shot WITH their start menu/desktop icons. I heard it has to do with the print screen button but i don't know how to do it.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just hit the 'Prt Scrn' button and then select 'paste' from within your image editor of choice. I'd recommend converting your screenshots to jpg format so that they will not be large in size.

If you don't have a utility for this, then I'd recommend Irfanview. It even has its own capture function.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

risingsun wrote:
If i want to show what is on my desktop in its "entireness" how do i do that. I was reading the forum, "show us you desktop and i was wondering how they get the shot WITH their start menu/desktop icons. I heard it has to do with the print screen button but i don't know how to do it.

Just lay your windows the way you want them and hit the print screen key, then go to a picture editing program (like Paint if you want) and select Paste from Edit menu. And that's all you have to do, print screen key get the entire desktop shot, EVEN with the start menu and desktop icons. :wink:

\\oh, and follow Jim's instructions, we don't want you to paste big pictures on "show us your desktop" topic ;)
  • JakeTheSnake
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Panama City, Fl

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you have a scanner you can hold it up to your screen and scan it. With that you can even get the border of your moniter if it fits on the scanner. Just Kidding. Sorry. But yea just hit the print screen key and paste it in an image editing program and save it. Basically what the above people said.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

JakeTheSnake wrote:
If you have a scanner you can hold it up to your screen and scan it. With that you can even get the border of your moniter if it fits on the scanner. Just Kidding. Sorry. But yea just hit the print screen key and paste it in an image editing program and save it. Basically what the above people said.

*lol .... And if you hold the Alt button down while selecting the Print Scrn button it will copy the active window to clipboard. This is excellent for tutes where you only want an image of the active window and not the "whole" desktop.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
*lol .... And if you hold the Alt button down while selecting the Print Scrn button it will copy the active window to clipboard. This is excellent for tutes where you only want an image of the active window and not the "whole" desktop.

Couldn't you just crop the picture?
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sure you could but using ATNO's method would be faster.
  • sly1340
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: not available

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you have a dell, you need to press fn+prnt scrn
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

sly1340 wrote:
if you have a dell, you need to press fn+prnt scrn

I'm assuming you are refering to a laptop? A desktop keyboard should work the same with a Dell as it does any other brand. At least it does with my Dell server. In fact I think any laptop you'd probably have to hit fn + Print Scrn
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

JrzyCrim wrote:
Sure you could but using ATNO's method would be faster.

Yep -- saves the effort of cropping, and what's nice about photoshop when you do File|New it automatically opens the new document to the same dimensions of what's in your clipboard. All you have to do is CTRL+V and it's there ready to go.
  • harryhood
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • harryhood

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:

Excellent, I didn't know about the ALT option to only capture the active window. That will certainly be a big timer saver for me.

Thanks for the tip.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts