Am I screwed?

• david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did a file transfer backing up files from a old computer to be transfered to a new one I'm building. I did the transfer and burned them to DVD because I didn't have CD/R disks, only RW and they wouldn't work. The old pc failed before I finished building the new one. I figured I may as well reinstall XP and see if I can transfer the files. The wizard is telling me "no way jose".
Did I just lose my files? Or is there a way I can make this happen?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. Can we assume the new PC is a DVD player?
2. Can you see the files on the DVD when you insert the disk in My Computer or Windows Explorer?
3. Can you open any of the files from the DVD itself, like a JPG for example?
4. What is the exact error message when you try to copy and paste the files? (or are you trying to copy them some other way?)
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. The computer is the same computer that I saved the files from using the Files and Setting Transfer wizard. I installed the DVD player on the Dell about two years ago.

2.No, My computer see's it as a CD and the Files have the following tags IMG00001,IMG00002, and status. All show up as files that you don't have the correct program for.

3.No

4.I am using the Files and Setting Transfer wizard, "the disk you inserted is not the correct one"

I followed the transfer instructions by saving the backup to drive C: (before windows failed) and then burned it to DVD.

Not finding much help from Microsoft either.
This is a fresh install of XP Home
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

YES, YES I am
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry I didn't get back to this, but I'm honestly not sure what the answer is.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
The old pc failed before I finished building the new one. I figured I may as well reinstall XP and see if I can transfer the files.
The wizard is telling me "no way jose

Reinstall XP on the computer that failed right ?

Which wizard, the installation/format wizard or did you get it to install, and it's a transfer wizard that said no-way ?

If Windows refused to install I would stick the disk into the new computer as a slave and try to browse through it.

If you actually made it through the XP install including a format of the drive, you're probably out of luck without resorting to data recovery services.
  • david murphy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • david murphy

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes for the reinstall

the transfer wizard

checked the dvd in a laptop and my own desktop, I couldn't open the dat files and clicked on "find it on the web" button and it wanted me to use corel word perfect merge data. In which case I don't have

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts