Second Hard Drive - Seen by device manager, not by disk mgmt

• apuffer
  • Born
  • Born
  • apuffer

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi all,

I will try to keep this as concise as possible.

Basically I have an IBM X41. The hard drive failed on me for reasons unknown. When I go to boot it up, it gives me the '1962: No operating system found' error.

It does not have a floppy drive so instead of trying to make a boot disk I decided to pull the hard drive out and stick it in my other computer as a slave and see if I could fix it that way.

Oddly enough, it (sort of) worked. It installed the hard drive properly, but I can't see it under my computer. I CAN see it under Device Manager which says it is working fine. I also noticed from some of the other posts that it is "location 1" which I think is correct (the main hard drive is "location 0".

The big difference in my problem and others I have searched, is that I cannot see it under the Admin Tools -> ... -> Disk Management. It only shows my primary hard drive as well as my CDROM.

Any idea what I could do to access the files on my hard drive? I don't even care about getting the OS operational again I just need to pull some data off!! Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Andrew

PS the OS for the IBM X41 that the faulty HD came from is windows 2k pro, and the OS for the computer i put it into is windows xp.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• moniqu
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • moniqu

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you checked the MBR records of the disk and the partition table? Another thing you might try is to get a bootcd like Hiren's BootCD and check if the harddrive is not dead.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts