"Select Names" dialogue blank in Outlook 2002

• guitarlover
  • guitarlover

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I'm at wit's end. I have several distribution lists as well as contact folders. All the sudden, They all disappearred from the select names dialogue box that you call up to choose a name, names or distribution list. As a matter of fact, every box in the dialogue is blank. The folders are all where they should be and I can access all of them.

I have tried to do a program "repair" and a reinstallation. I have run Norton antivirus and tried re-importing.

Should I completely delete Outlook and do a re-install? If I do this, will I lose all the .pst files?

Help!! :cry:

Regards, Steve
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Even though your folders are there and you can access them, are they empty? or Different? You may have the same problem I just fixed on mine.

I'm on Exchange, so your profile might be slightly different, but Tools|Options|Mail Services Tab

Check the Always use this profile and make sure the correct one was selected. In my case the correct profile is MS Exchange Settings. And I had the exact same problem you have. In fact, I spent close to a day trying to figure out why I didn't have a Personal Address Book, when everyone else in my company did.

I finally stumbled on this option and realized that mine was set to my Novell Groupwise profile *duh (I'm the only one left that still has access to Novell, and when I set up Outlook it defaulted to that setting) As soon as I switched it to MS Exchange Settings, I had my contact lists back and my Personal Address Book.

Hope that solves it for you.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not sure what's causing your first problem, I'll look for something on the web, but regarding your second question about .pst file, the answer is no, you are not going to lose your .pst file. But you should make a backup of it/them before and later replace or attach it to outlook again. You can check where your .pst files are stored in outlook using:

1- Tools menu, then options submenu
2- In the options form select Mail Setup tab
3- In Mail Setup tab click on Data Files button
4- Take note of the path of your .pst file that appear in the next window and make a backup.

//EDIT: Hi, ATNO :lol:
  • guitarlover
  • guitarlover

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks both. Your input has helped. I am on the right track but I hit a stumbling block. I can right click on the folder in the folder tree and click "properties". Then I clicked on the Outlook Address Book tab and it has a check box; "Show this folder as an e-mail address book". On one of my computers, this was unchecked for a file I recently added. I checked it and then it shows up. The probelm is that on the computer with the blanks, I cannot do this as the same options are "greyed" out and therefore cannot change them.

Apparantly, I have to change another setting before I can modify this one. This would explain why file repair didn't help. There's nothing broken! I think I may just un-install the program (heeding Lagrego's advice) and re-install. That should find everything and put it back where it belongs.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Steve

ATNO - Sorry, I couldn't find the profile thing you mentioned. I looked exactly were you said but this is what lead to me finding the properties tab - thanks!
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check this Steve:

1- Tools | Email Accounts
2- Select View or change existing directories and address book
3- Click add button
4- Select Additonal Address Books | Next button
5- Select Outlook Address Book from the list
6-Click Next and restart outlook

Tell me if this work
  • guitarlover
  • guitarlover

Post 3+ Months Ago

labrego wrote:
Check this Steve:

1- Tools | Email Accounts
2- Select View or change existing directories and address book
3- Click add button
4- Select Additonal Address Books | Next button
5- Select Outlook Address Book from the list
6-Click Next and restart outlook

Tell me if this work

Dear Larz,

Did It work? Let me just say...

Thank you! :D Thank you :D Thank you :D Thank you! :D Thank you :D Thank you :D Thank you! :D Thank you :D Thank you :D Thank you! :D Thank you :D Thank you :D Thank you! :D Thank you :D Thank you :D Thank you! :D Thank you :D Thank you :D Thank you! :D Thank you :D Thank you :D Thank you! :D Thank you :D Thank you :D Thank you! :D Thank you :D Thank you :D Thank you! :D Thank you :D Thank you :D Thank you! :D Thank you :D Thank you :D Thank you! :D Thank you :D Thank you :D
Thank you! :D Thank you :D Thank you :D Thank you! :D Thank you :D Thank you :D Thank you! :D Thank you :D Thank you :D Thank you! :D Thank you :D Thank you :D Thank you! :D Thank you :D Thank you :D Thank you! :D Thank you :D Thank you :D Thank you! :D Thank you :D Thank you :D Thank you! :D Thank you :D Thank you :D .

Oh, did I say Thanks?

I have wasted 3 1/2 days fartin' around with this problem. I extend my warmest thanks to all.

Steve

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts