Server Antivirus

• BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Cyprus

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was trying to install AV program on my server(window 2003 server) but i got an error saying that AV can only be used on workstation, why is that?

in this case what AV shall i use?

Thanks.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

How many clients are you running off your server? I would highly suggest Symantec's Enterprise edition. I've recently installed it on my Win2K server and it absolutely rocks! All clients are centrally managed now and the web security option, not only has real time virus protection when users are surfing, but you can also lock out access to computers and/or users to specific categories of websites (you know the ones), and even lock a computer or user out of internet access entirely if needed. Plus you have a log of what users are surfing.

Great for any business in my book!
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks ATNO/TW that was more than i need.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

btw -- moving this to Windows forum. I forgot to do that the first time.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well if that's more than you need, then what antivirus program are you trying to use?
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

I meant by saying that u gave me what i needed to know exactly.

i was trying to install the normal AV pro.

I didn't know that it wouldn't work with the my server. :oops:
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

On the topic of servers. I am not sure what BlueHat is using his server for, whether it be for a home network or not. My question is, I have a home network comprised of my PC, a laptop, and my son's PC. Right now we are currently networked wirelessly on XP Pro. Would it be beneficial to put a server OS on my pc? I don't know what benefits a server OS would have over running it on XP. The only reason I am contimplating this is because I will be taking the MCSE course and it will be on Win2003. SO what do you think?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

grinch... Win2K3 runs about a grand... I speant 3 grand on the virus protection we're talking about for a 2 year license for 50 users. I think it was around $800 or so for the Veritas backup software and around $4000 for the server all told...

Now, if you get/are enrolled in a school, talk to your sysadmin about educational discounts.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks ATNO but that didn't really answer my question. Is there an advantage to running Win2K3 for a home server?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Want to spend the grand for the software, or just find the crack? Other than that there is no advanatage.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Want to spend the grand for the software, or just find the crack? Other than that there is no advanatage.

No, I am asking a legitimate question.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I guess the way I said that doesn't really convey what I was attempting to say. Sorry for the confusion grinch. The thought behind that is the software is expensive. For the normal user, it is tremendous overkill for the price. Unless, someone is using a cracked version, then it is nothing more than a very expensive OS in most peoples hands.

However, thinking back to your MCSE course it might be beneficial for you, which is why I mentioned the educational discounts. Discounts are available for students who need the software. Otherwise, very few people are going to be able to use the OS to it's potential at home.

In regards to what you mentioned in PM, I specifically avoided that particular topic, because if I got involved in it, I would probably go off on a few people. And that's all I will say on that part of it.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will definitely look into the educational discounts. I didn't think it would be beneficial for a home network but I was looking at it as a way to practice what I learn through MCSE while not in class. My network admin at work runs WIN2K3 on his home network but he is out of town this week so I couldn't ask him the question. But he is also currently trying to obtain his MCSE.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is a good learning tool. I used the 6 month evaluation at home to learn it when that came out. I don't think that's available any longer though.
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
It is a good learning tool. I used the 6 month evaluation at home to learn it when that came out. I don't think that's available any longer though.

I think its if u buy the book, 180 days trial
  • BlueHat
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

adding, my friend got the book and he got the CD(180 days trial) with it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts