setting email domain ip

• evo_182
  • evo_182

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello all

I am running windows server 2003 and want to set up exchange.

The problem i have is i need to tell someone or some company the ip i am using so when they send an email to my domain it gets to me

if that makes sence to anyone and they know what i need to do i would appriciate any help

Thanks

Dan
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Daemonguy
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Somewhere outside the box in Sarasota, FL.

Post 3+ Months Ago

First off, I am moving this to the windows forum.

Secondly, it's a bit more complex that that. If you own a domain, you need to have a DNS MX record created to point at your machine's resolvable domain name or (worse option) IP.

Are you asking how to tell what your IP is? Are you doing this from a home connection? Are you inside your own network? If the answer to the last two questions is 'yes', then you need to set up port forwarding through your gateway device for (presumably) pop mail, and use the external machine's IP (or DNS resolvable name). The problem is, your IP could change.

As I said, there's a lot more to this than meets the eye -- this is also why people hire mail administrators. If this is for your employer ... wow.

Perhaps someone here could be of more specific help, but I think there are too many variables to make an honest offering of advice. We can sit here and play with conjecture all day long -- to what end?

Perhaps if you supplied a bit more information, such as your environment, network topology, protocol requirements (smtp, pop, imap, etc.), directional traffic?

Might help.
  • evo_182
  • evo_182

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok,

i am sorry for putting in the wrong forum

i am running the server in my home network.

i am been told that i need to tell someone the ip of where the email server is being hosted. i was just wndering how i did that

Dan

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts