Setting up an Intranet

• snowdove
  • snowdove

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I have a couple questions here -- maybe someone can help me out,

INTRANET:

1. Is there a site somewhere with details on the server side of setting up an Intranet? I'm a web designer and ASP programmer -- but a bit lost when it comes to server side configurations. I've created and programmed literally hundreds of commercial websites, but never set up an INTRANET from scratch. The development part of it is not an issue, but I dont know where to begin to set up the server.

I'm sure it's fairly simple - but I have very basic questions. Like where the heck do you put it? Does it GO on the webserver--not under INetPub or WWWRoot though. Is there some setting in ISS that allows only network access? If not on the web server, can I still have my ODBC connections and CDOnts mail ? yada yada yada...

As you can see, I need basic instruction. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

INTERNET:
2. If you haven't figured it out yet, I need a Servers for dummies book.
I can only do on server-side what I've had to do to code my database driven ASP sites. So here's what will be a very simple question for most of you: We want to move our INTERNET webfiles from the C drive to the D drive on the web server. Does anyone know where I go in to IIS and change the active directory and anything else I need to know about that?

Thanks,
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

One could write a book to answer that question. Here's a link to get you started:

http://www.intrack.com/intranet/ifaq.shtml

Then try this Google search for added reading:
"setup an intranet"

I'd try to be a bit more specific, but all my Windows server reference stuff is at home and I don't want to take guesses without reviewing those. If you haven't received the answer you need by the time I get home next week, I'll try reviewing this again.
  • snowdove
  • snowdove

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your reply. Believe it or not, I already did those two things. I got alot of information but not really what I needed first off.

I basically need someone to say something like this to me:

"Just slap your folder containing your intranet webfiles on a server that is configured to do *this*, and if you want it to run script it has to also be *this*, that has *this* software running, and put it under *This* folder and set the path to *THIS*..etc etc".

I guess it's just not that simple. :) I could never be a network administrator.

We have a current INTERNET site in existence. I could put the INTRANET site under WWWRoot, but it seems to defeat the purpose to me--though I guess I could start development there and just move it to the mystery location when I figure out how I do that.

The way our site is set up now, I have certain areas password protected. These are the areas I want to move to an intranet site to split off from our Internet site.

Recent changes in our IT dept have temporarily left us without someone to guide me on this - and I'd like to be able to give input on what we need to do to make this intranet happen.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Without a reference in front of me, I seem to recall that witth IIS, under options, there should be a place to set the path to the site you want active. Without my references or IIS in front of me, I can't for the life of me tell you exactly how to do it, but that should be all you need to do to get to where you want to be. If someone hasn't beat me to it by the time I get home on Sunday, I'll try to look it up for ya.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts