Setting Up RAID on my system

• Kysala
  • Born
  • Born
  • Kysala

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I am thinking of setting my system up to a RAID format, I have a single 1TB drive at present which is running well. I have just ordered 2 more identical drivess. Can I set up RAID without losing all my current data or do I have to do a reinstall of windows to get it all going. Also I want to try to get 2 of the drives working in raid 0 and the 3rd drive as a storage device for my personal files. Is this possible

If anyone can help I would appreciate it. I have never set up raid on a system before and really can't afford to lose the data I currently have stored

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is your ultimate goal for installing RAID? If it's for data protection, you probably want RAID 1.

Read about RAID on Wiki. Then decide.
  • Kysala
  • Born
  • Born
  • Kysala

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have ordered 2 more 1TB drives so I was hoping to have my current drive and 1 other set in RAID 0 to increase the performance and have the 3rd drive as a standard storage drive
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't see how RAID increases performance.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Striping, sort of, kind of doubles read/write speed. What exactly are you using your computer for? For the most part you don't need rappid I/O, you probably wont see a difference.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm personally not a huge fan of RAID-0 simply because if you lose one drive in the array you lose all data which would really suck. Personally I would take all three drives and create a RAID-5 array and then partition your drive into two partitions, one for the OS and one for data.

You will need to reinstall if you plan on implementing RAID.
  • Kysala
  • Born
  • Born
  • Kysala

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the help everyone :) was looking to boost things like the boot up time etc. takes a while and none of that time is cpu as the usage stays below 10% but the hard drive light stays on solid.

Will look in to the raid 5.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts