size changed when file copied from a linux machine

• hackeralert
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi all...........
i have a weard problem. i have downloaded fedora core 2 and kept in a system working in fedora core1. later i copied it to another machine running on windows 2003.I copied it using 'scp' utility.
My problem is when i checked the size of 4 disc's 1st disc is around 645MB 2nd around 658mb and so on. later when i ckeched the size in windows machine its showing only 638mb,640mb... ie., its showing reduced size. and i am sure that while using scp no data will be lost. does linux and windows shows different size for a same file????????
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe the change in the file system causing this or are u using a compression tool.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Differences in partition cluster size would account for the discrepancy. In Windows, if you right click on the file(s) in question and select properties, the actual file size and the disk space used to store the file will be displayed.

Edit: The cluster sizes could be the same on both systems. If this is the case, then you are probably seeing the actual file size on one system, and the actual disk space used on the other...
  • macha
  • macha
  • Loc: india

Post 3+ Months Ago

same hapned for me also

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts