Slow connections after SP2 installl on XP

• Mhbooth
  • Born
  • Born
  • Mhbooth

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't find this one.

I have a Athlon 2200, 512m ram, 120G hd, with XP Pro running at home on a Cable Modem. Overall, a very fast setup for web browsing.

Until I installed SP2. Right away the web pages were slower by a factor of 10. Other symptoms are pages that don't finish loading, or fail finding the host. Trying again usually works. This is same with Firefox or IE6.

I had scanned for spyware (S&D) before and after the install. (none) Other comps on my router work fine. I noticed it improved a little with ZoneAlarm disabled, so I uninstalled it. With the default XP Firewall ON it's back to horrible, with it disabled it improves to poor.

One other symptom: With the LAN status icon in the tray and the Connection Status window open, the Sent packets constantly reset to Zero...never counting greater than 100, while Received continues to count. I would guess something is resetting the Sent side continuously, but I'm damned if I can figure out what.

Help!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

In Network Properties, check the Advanced tab of your Network card configuration. Check the Duplex/Link speed. Make sure it idn't get inadvertantly changed to 10mbps and/or half duplex. It should be either Auto, or preferably 100mbps Full duplex.

Half duplex you can't send and recieve at the same time, which could explain the odd transfer rate you described.
  • Mhbooth
  • Born
  • Born
  • Mhbooth

Post 3+ Months Ago

The "Speed" in the Connection Status already said 100 Mbps, and the Media Type in the properties had been set to Auto Sense. I changed it to 100BaseTX Full Duplex. No difference.

I am connected to a LAN port on a Netgear Wireless Router. I had thought that was why SP2 set me up with the IEEE 802.1x authentication Enabled even though I am wired to the Router, so I had UN-Enabled it early on. (This is located on the Authentication tab on the LAN Properties applet) I re-enabled it for kicks, and it made no difference. :(

Thanks for the reply anyway.

Michael
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, just looking around on the net you could see a lot of people complainig about SP2, I better wait until SP2a is out :lol.

You can disable Windows firewall to see if it helps, seems to have a lot of "problemos".
  • Mhbooth
  • Born
  • Born
  • Mhbooth

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thought I'd post an update.

The problem is mostly solved. I used a utility (DRTCP021) to check the TCP/IP settings in the regestry, and found the MTU set to Null and all the other parameters set to default.

After setting the MTU to 1500 things improved greatly. The system is still not quite as responsive as before, but it no longer times out sending mail.

I can only surmise that SP2 munged up the regestry somehow.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm -- must have. Thanks for the update.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, sounds intresting, do you have the link so other pepole seeking help on a problem like yours can find it?

//EDIT: Found it myself, here's the link: http://www.dslreports.com/front/DRTCP021.exe
  • Mhbooth
  • Born
  • Born
  • Mhbooth

Post 3+ Months Ago

labrego wrote:
Yes, sounds intresting, do you have the link so other pepole seeking help on a problem like yours can find it?

//EDIT: Found it myself, here's the link: http://www.dslreports.com/front/DRTCP021.exe

Sorry for leaving out the link, but I didn't feel it was the choice of utility that made the difference. There must be a hundred Utilities on the 'Net for setting the MTU. They used to be really popular with Win98 as you could improve your dialup speed, etc. WINXP is a bit smarter...normally.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts