Small office network - Advice

• Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello everyone!

I have recently got a new job but I have question for the collective. They currently have around 6 PC's and 4 laptops. All connecting to a simple LAN. The LAN and a windows server machine simply supply the internet connection and a shared drive. It hosts the CRM application and is the gateway to the internet for the office.

Now, we have issues with the shared drive showing on some machines and not others, constant connectivity issues and need to get the network in order, applying some half decent security to files and folders and ensuring backups are regular and efficient.

Im no network person but I probably have more experience that the folks at my new place! so, I know the server has active directory and my plan is below, please can I have some questions answered on the below to hopefully get me straight.

1) Set up active directory for all of the users
Straight forward enough.
2) Set up all of the clients
I presume I just need to set all of the clients to connect to the new active directory and office domain. Ensuring that all users 'log on' to the new domain.
3) set up the client machines to use a protected individual folder from within the server. I would probably set up each of the clients 'My Doc' folder to point to the servers individual account

Please someone make sure im going in the right direction and can anyone fill in the gaps?

Cheers
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Basically, your theory is correct. What OS is the server running? It has to have Server 2003, SBS, Server 2008 or something similar, to have Active Directory. However, the router should be the gateway to the internet, not the server. The server should have a static IP address. Stay away from dual NICs.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reply. The OS is Windows 2003 Server. The server is the gateway to the building network (rented office) and the internet connection provided by the building.

I have not had the chance to fully inspect the machine and setup, but I believe what I have said is correct.

I will need to check this out fully before taking the plunge, I just wanted to make sure I had the theory correct.

So when setting up the AD accounts, Do the accounts instantly get drive space on the server? and is it instantly linked to their account and accessible within the client machine? or will this take some time mapping drive locations from the clients?.

I like the idea of remotely administering updates and scripts to run at boot up, what should I be looking up to acheive this?

sorry for the noobish questions, I have seen all of this in theory, but dont want to be practicing and using trial/error getting it wrong.

thanks
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

The accounts instantly get space but don't forget that each machine has to be joined to the domain. In other words, it's no longer a workgroup. Use a dot local domain (.local), not a .com.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your AD clients do not automatically get space on the server as far as drive space. You can set up a Group Policy Object to redirect the My Documents folder to a shared folder on the server but it isn't automatic.

The group policy in question can be found at:
User Configuration/Windows Settings/Folder Redirection

Within that container you will find the various folders that can be redirected. As you set up the policy you will get options for security.

Scripts can be setup using Group Policy as well. This can be done at:
User Configuration/Windows Settings/Scripts

As far as managing updates, look into installing WSUS. This will give you the ability to approve/disapprove Windows Updates and manage when the updates are installed. These options can also be controlled by Group Policy at:
Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update
  • jflynn
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Baker City, Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you running DHCP for your network or static IPs on all the machines? the server must be a static IP

the gateway IP is the IP of the router that leads to the internet.

Good luck! I really enjoy setting up networks so I hope you do as well.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only server that really needs to be static is your domain controller. You can get by running servers DHCP especially if you use reservations.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts