Some wireless networking problems...

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okies, so I'm working on joining my two networks...

This is the eventual plan...

http://www.gotaxe.com/stuff/home-network.gif

I just got the Microsoft MN-500 today, and that's all setup. Network 1 is now working exactly as it shows it in the image above.

Network 2 does not yet have the WET11. There's no rush for it to be wired up to Network 1 yet, so I've not really tried too hard to pick one up.

But, I did just pick up a Linksys WUSB11.

Now, I made sure all my settings were identical. SSIN, 128Bit WEP key identical on router & NIC, but I can't get these things to talk to each other.

I can access everything wired through the MN-500, but this wireless just won't work. I've tried disabling WEP completely, just to see if there was any problems with that, but it still wouldn't get on.

The best I've managed to get is that the WUSB11 is "connected to the access point, but cannot see the Internet".

If I'm on this PC here, and I load up http://192.168.3.1, up comes my router config. If I'm on the other PC through wireless and attempt to load that same URL I get a DNS error.

This machine is 192.168.3.2, the wireless PC is 192.168.3.17.

I can ping .17 in a command prompt on .2 (and get replies). I completely forgot to try pinging .2 from .17, but as .17 responded to pings, I'm assuming it can also send requests to .17 and see the replies.

If I run winipcfg on the wireless PC, up comes with the 192.168.3.17 IP address configured for the WUSB11.

This PC is running Windows 2000 Profesional. The Wireless PC is running Windows 98 Second Edition.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What's your TCP/IP settings for the 98 machine? Try this config if your's is different:
IP Address - Obtain automatically (let DHCP assign it)
DNS - Disabled
Gateway - Add your Router IP
WINS - leave unchecked except for Use DHCP for Wins Resolution - leave that checked.

I'm using a similar network setup as you except mine's wired. One Win2k machine and 2 98 machines. Both the 98 machines use the IP config above.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okies, I removed all "TCP/IP For <insert adapter here" so that the WUSB11 is the only networkng device with TCP/IP support, just in case the settings on one of the others were overriding this.

192.168.2.2 (This PC) can ping both 192.168.2.1 (router) and 192.168.2.17 (Other PC)

192.168.2.17 (Other PC0 can ping both 192.168.2.1 (router) and 192.168.2.2 (This PC).

IP - Set to be grabbed by DHCP
DNS - Disabled
Gateway - Figures that out automatically (confirmed by winipcfg)
WINS - Yup, already set like that.

Have a look at this page right here, and scroll down to section 2b. That's my error, and I've attempted what it suggests there as a solution.

The DNS servers it lists there btw, are sbcglobal.net. I've also tried it with Comcast's IP addresses...

Now, this is a strange one...

I'm on my '98SE box, I bring up a dos prompt and try to ping http://www.ozzu.com, and it tells me it's an unknown host, can't resolve, whatever. I tell it to ping the IP address that http://www.ozzu.com resolves to (I dns'd on my other machine and jotted down the address) and I get replies. No problem. Pings will go to the outside world, and I get replies, but I still can't do TCP

Attempting to load http://ozzu's.ip.address in the web browser, again, comes up with a DNS error.

And I know it's not the router faking out on the pings because when I ping Ozzu's IP address, I'm actually getting realistic varying results, not the instantaneous pings you get across a LAN.

I don't know. The PC I'm trying right now was given to me a couple of months ago... It's just a crappy lil P2-400, 112Meg ram (1x64Meg, 1x32Meg & 1x16Meg dimms, heh). I haven't formatted it yet since I got it, so there may be misconfigurations in its past that are screwing it up today, but if nobody posts a solution that works by the time I wake up in the morning, that'll be my first job after I hunt out my Win98SE CD.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm -- It sounds like it's not communicating with Comcasts DNS servers -- it appears to be looking to an internal one and not going any further. I can't quite tell exactly from what you said - did you try adding the ISP's primary and secondary DNS servers into TCP/IP? You've pretty much troubleshooted the way I would have. Can't think of anything else at the moment.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The instructions on Linksys's website told me to add sbcglobal.net's DNS servers to my TCP/IP. I tried that, it still didn't work. Then I tried my own ISP's DNS servers, that still didn't work, so then I tried my own DNS servers on my dedicated server, still didn't work. So I've tried a bunch of different DNS servers :)

I don't think it's that it can't see the DNS servers - well, it can't see 'em, but that's a symptom, not the problem I think.

If it was just that it can't see the DNS servers, then why can I "ping 66.98.226.83" and get a reply, but not be able to load http://66.98.226.83 in my browser?

So, you can see why it's confusing the hell out of me :D

I've been through the router's settings a dozen times. I've rebooted the wireless PC about 50 times, heh.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, Basically Network Address Translation isn't happening for the 98 Box -- Based on what you've indicated I can't put my finger on why. NAT has to occur to resolve domain names to IP's. In almost all home networks this is going to occur at your ISP's DNS servers. You'll be able to ping anything in the world, but without the NAT you won't be able to resolve anywhere in the outside world.

Before you reformat, try deleting all network connections from network neighborhood, reboot and create a new network connection and leave everything at the defaults.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

This machine's been in use for so long, it'd be quicker to format than unscrewup all the different configurations and settings that have been done to this machine, lol.

It's got about half a dozen different dialup devices installed for start (2 regular MS-DUN, 2 AOL Dialup, VPN, something else I can't remember, and another one)..

Won't take more than an hour to format & reinstall '98SE.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm sure you've thought of it, but make sure you have all your drivers available, chipset, etc.

belarc advisor will tell you what's under the hood if you don't already know:
http://belarc.com
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, it's a stock compaq box, and while they often make quite sucky machines, the system restore disks do have all the right drivers n' whatnot installed.

When I hooked up the wusb11, I did grab the latest drivers from Linksys's website, so that's all good. I grabbed the latest USB drivers for '98SE too when I first got the machine so I could get it talking to my D100.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

which mode did you put the WUSB11 into Ad-hoc or Infrastructure?

IP address of win98: 192.168.2.17
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1

Disable wins Resolution unless you have a wins server.

DNS
primary : x.x.x.x <- fill in your appropriate Primary DNS
secondary: x.x.x.x <- fill in your appropriate Secondary DNS

the sbcglobal DNS would probably not work for you unless your inside there network, they work for me but then again I'm on the inside looking out ;) now from what I have read the WUSB11 doesn't get it's own IP address and the PC is the only one to get an IP address. I would also suggest tring the WUSB11 on another machine that resolves names to make sure it isn't the win98 machine (possibly infected with some hi-jacked browser malware)

Also check this post to see if it resembles your problem http://www.ozzu.com/mswindows-forum/problems-t19525.html&hi ... e+problems Yes there is alot to read ;)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

It was in Infrastructure mode... the ip/subnet/def. gateway are as you mentioned above, wins res disabled. I tried letting it auto DNS (which works fine on wired LAN to the router), I tried inputting the DNS server IPs that it suggests on the LinkSys site, I tried my ISP's DNS servers, and I tried my own DNS servers on one of my dedicated servers.

Yes, the WUSB11 doesn't get an IP, the PC gets the IP.

Ok, I saw that thread first time around, but I don't think this is that. It's not just happening in IE. Because unlike your situation there, I can't resolve hostnames via ping either.

I didn't get around to formatting yet (I've just had too much work on), but it's going to be easier to format and start with a fresh copy of Win98 than to try to fix a setup somebody's been using since P2-400 was top-of-the-range ;)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okies, well, it's taken a while to carry on with this, but I did stick the wireless USB NIC on another PC (running Windows 2000 Pro), installed the driver (not the rest of the LinkSys stuff, like the network browser n' whatnot)...

Setup the appropriate settings in the NIC's config, and all is good.

I'm actually posting here from the Wireless Win2K Box :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts