No sound

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

My computer doesn't play music anymore :(

What I mean :lol: is that when I go to youtube or someplace my speakers don't work from the front jack or the rear ones, and yes, I'm putting them in the correct jacks. It worked fine until now, but now it just gave up.

I have no idea what's going on... I'm not deaf and the speakers work (I've tried multiple headphones that I know works, and they didn't work). I have no idea whats up.

It's a brand new computer so I have no idea what might have happened. I'm thinking a misconfiguration someplace but I don't know where to look for that possible misconfiguration. Any help would be nice as I'm beginning to hate this device.

I got this idea that the jacks might be blown, although I have no idea how that could have happened as this is a brand new computer I got. When I plug in my speakers to other jacks (that aren't really speaker jacks), the speakers make the static/electronic noise when the metal connectors are being touched, if I plug it in the actual speaker jacks, no sound... silence, although I don't know if that means anything. If I use my headphones, I just hear a high pitched squeal, and if I open a program, the squeal changes slightly for a second and then returns back to that high pitched squeal again.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, restarting the computer fixed the problem... hmmm... Windows 7...
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you hit the mute button ;)
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, I checked the sound volume, put it up all the way and still no sound. I have no clue what that was, but restarting the machine seemed to fix it.

One reason I'm really dissapointed with this computer is that I bought it so I could play Call of Duty: Black Ops, and after installing it and everything, it doesn't pull it... I made sure I bought it higher then the minimum specs for the game, but I play for like 1 minute and then it freezes. Makes me want to punch something.

It might be my wireless, I'm getting 4/5 bars and sometimes it drops to 3/5.

One question since I'm a newb at this... if the ping is higher that means its good or bad?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

What graphics card do you have? Freezing might be the drivers.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol: I don't know... how do I check?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go to your run prompt and enter dxdiag.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got DirectX 11 Running...

Got AMD Phenom(tm) II x6 1045T Processor (6 CPUs), ~2.7Ghz processor...

8192MB Ram...

ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series

Minimum specs for the ATI is ATI Radeon X1950 Pro or better...

Others include (in the minimum spec list for the graphics card for the game) Shader 3.0 or better 256 MB nVidia Geforce 8600GT and then that ATI Radion x1950 pro or better.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Bogey

A ATI Radeon HD 5400 is a very low power card. The x1950 was on the high end of its series, the 5400 is on the low end of its series.

In the 5xxx series you'd probably want something 5750.

Here is a breakdown for video cards for the Bad Company 2 game with the following settings (1920x1200, 0AA, 0AF, High Quality, DX10)

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2010 ... ,2465.html

This would be fairly comparable to Black Ops, you'll notice the last card on the list is a ATI Radeon 5550 running at 9.7 FPS. Granted the test was done with max settings, so if you were to running your game at the lowest settings you could probably get some alright frame rates.

When your looking at graphic cards the lowest card in the 5 series isnt better than the highest card in the 4 series. Most of the time you will see a 20% increase in performance. So a 54xx card would perform 20% higher than a 44xx. Now the x1950 was at the top of its series.

Below is a link to a hierarchy chart.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/graphics- ... 892-6.html

You'll notice that the 5450 card is about 5 teirs below the x1950.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, which graphics card is the best for this kind of stuff? I did the help me choose feature and it recommended AMD Radeon™ HD 6870 Graphics.

I chose "Watch and edit HD videos" play "high resolution games" and "fast and responsive system"... not sure if I chose the best options though.

If I'm buying a graphics card, I want it to be the best I could buy for my price range. According to the chart it's ATI Radeon™ HD 5970 Graphics which costs around $700... ...

I can play the game when it is not full-screen, and even though, it still crashes sometimes, just not as often when I play full-screen.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Depends on your budget, you can easily run Black Ops with a $100 card. You may not be able to run max settings but you could get pretty decent frames on mid level. If you want to be able to max out the card running 1080p with 8x anti alias you would probably need to spend closer to $200-$300. Basically if your sticking with ATI you want a 4800, 5800 or a 6800 series card. The important thing is the 8. A good break down of ATI video cards goes like this.

The first digit 5870 is the general series. Not to important. The second and third are the important ones. The second digit ranges from 4-9 on desktop.

4: General user.
5: General Gaming
6: Entry Gaming
7: Advanced Gaming
8: Extreme Gaming
9: Power users that want the best of the best.

The third digit just gives each of the above a slight boost. Generally all it does is increase the clock speed and ram timing.

You can easily run Black Ops (From the list above) with a 5 or 6. You'll probably have to run everything on medium settings though. With a 7 you could push max. In heavy fire you may get frame drops but probably not. With an 8 you'd have no problem running max settings. The 9 is just crazy.

I personally run a 4890 it can handle anything I through at it running max settings. Right now my CPU is whats holding me back. It doesn't even meet the recommended for Black Ops but it still does a pretty good job. In big firefights I loose some frames but the game is definitely playable.

Now after reading that you can pick and choose but I'd recommend a 5770 (~$150), 5870 (~300) or 6870 (~250)

The 5870 is faster than the 6870, both good cards though and you wouldn't have a problem running black ops with either.

Basically if you look at the chart below you can see how the cards line up.

The red are the ones I've recommend (Besides the blue line, thats where I'm assume the 6870 would go)
The green is my card.
The bottom of the list is the x1950.
Attachments:
Graphics Card Hierarchy Chart - Best Graphics Cards For The Money- May 2010.png

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts