NO SOUND!

• Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wouldn't normally suggest this but have you tried looking at the support page of the manufacturer of your soundcard oe emailing support. I ended up having to do that once when a driver refused to install.
What soundcard is it?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• darudey
  • Born
  • Born
  • darudey

Post 3+ Months Ago

7NA C.O. wrote:
I'm using drivers from the manufacturer, but had never had sound. The first thing I noticed upon installing windows was that there were no startup tunes, which didn't bothered me at first. As I have already posted, I can listen to music and everything else, it's just an issue with the midi sounds and so far game sounds have been affected too. By the way, I tried installing the drivers update for the AC'97 but it was useless. That sound issue now has prevented me from installing a new game, when copying the sound files an error would pop up saying 'error copying sound files, please refer to the troubleshooting section'. Basically, it tells me that if you can't hear windows startup tunes, you have a sound problem and therefore the game will not run.

Hello all, my first post here. I've been googling everywhere trying to find an answer. I have exactly the same problem here with my Sony VAIO VGN-A115Z laptop. This is absoultely frustrating because i have been researching hours and hours just looking for a solution (I usually find a solution to most hardware problems within 15 mins).

The specification of my laptop is:
http://www.vaio-link.com/specifications ... s.asp?l=en

I believe no one has found the answer to this yet. I reckon it's something to do with Microsoft's drivers not working properly with Realtek's.

Again, just like 7NA's problem, I can hear sound with WinAmp but cannot listen to MIDI or play WAV files. The windows sound icon does not appear in the task bar (even though I set it to go there). Perhaps there a registry error? Could somebody please find a fix.

I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2, currently using AC97 driver 5.10.0.60.30. My AC97 Codec is ALC203. First of all, I'm going to try reinstall DirectX 9.0c - wish me good luck! :)
  • darudey
  • Born
  • Born
  • darudey

Post 3+ Months Ago

just re-installed DirectX - no luck! :cry:
  • rickatnight11
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Richmond, VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm stumped. I would try installing the Mega Codec Pack (http://www.codecguide.com/download_mega.htm) but I don't know if that will help.
  • darudey
  • Born
  • Born
  • darudey

Post 3+ Months Ago

rickatnight11 wrote:
I'm stumped. I would try installing the Mega Codec Pack (http://www.codecguide.com/download_mega.htm) but I don't know if that will help.

I'm afraid it doesn't help :(
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd steer clear of the codec packs. I've had trouble and I've seen lots of people having trouble with them. Try this:
1. Download the latest drivers for your soundcard from the manufacturer's website.
2. Unplug all network connections(even ICS where the other computer is not plugged in)
3. Uninstall the previous drivers and reinstall the new ones.

I had a similar problem while back with a Fortissimo 3 card where I had a network set up where my computer connected to another which had ICS set up on a modem(a very slow modem) and yet when I tried to update drivers it wouldn't work. The support person suggested I unplug the network cables as he said it might be updating(still beats me how it managed that.. Seeing as it took about 20-30 mins to download 1 megabyte). Worked perfectly after that.
  • 7NA C.O.
  • Born
  • Born
  • 7NA C.O.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I installed all the stuff before even buying a modem card, and yet, I never heard the windows start-up tunes, which leads me to believe, that either the sound card is no compatible with windows XP or I'm just a guy with very very bad luck, meh. Also, I think I need to mention it, thought this is the windows forum, I run linux on this computer too. So far, all of linux sound applications run fine, but it really bothers me that I do have the option to set any midi driver I have installed, but anytime I re-open the window it's blank.
  • 7NA C.O.
  • Born
  • Born
  • 7NA C.O.

Post 3+ Months Ago

darudey, I'd like to know if your pinball game has sound. I had no luck installing another midi driver, or re-installing the manufacturer drivers, they even have an automatic scanning/updating utility that updates the old drivers, and yet the problem persists. :? mciseq.dll is as far as I can track the problem, it's in the multimedia drivers section under sound, video and games tab in the device manager.
  • zirrow
  • Born
  • Born
  • zirrow

Post 3+ Months Ago

check to see if your kmixer driver service is running. do this by opening a command prompt and typing "sc query kmixer". if it is running, it's state will be 4 (running). if it is not running, check to see if it is disabled by typing "sc qc kmixer". By default, this service should be set to 3 (DEMAND_START). If it is set to anything else, type "sc config kmixer start= demand" to change it's startup type. Reboot and see if that works.
  • ricardopicam
  • Born
  • Born
  • ricardopicam

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had exactly the same "Microsoft Kernel Wav Driver" error, with an enabled, but non-working (yellow exclamation mark). I tried to restore to a previous time --- the system couldn't restore to the restore point, but the sound returned!
  • tinkerz
  • Born
  • Born
  • tinkerz

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check to see if:

Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator is listed under System Devices in Device Manager. If it's missing and have no sound follow the directions on the following website to fix it.. worked for me.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1066427444

I take no credit for coming up with this solution... but I certainly will try and point people in the right direction.

Happy computing!

Tinkerz
  • meg
  • Born
  • Born
  • meg

Post 3+ Months Ago

zirrow wrote:
check to see if your kmixer driver service is running. do this by opening a command prompt and typing "sc query kmixer". if it is running, it's state will be 4 (running). if it is not running, check to see if it is disabled by typing "sc qc kmixer". By default, this service should be set to 3 (DEMAND_START). If it is set to anything else, type "sc config kmixer start= demand" to change it's startup type. Reboot and see if that works.

Thank you for this!
I had the exact same problem as the OP and found this through google - now my sound is back :D
  • Guitarguy
  • Born
  • Born
  • Guitarguy

Post 3+ Months Ago

ImpfctWld wrote:

"Bad DirectSound driver. Please install proper drivers or seelct another device in configuration. Error Code: 88780032"

I have the same onboard sound card as ImpfctWld and i am also getting the same message. Anyone know what i can do to fix this?
  • Guitarguy
  • Born
  • Born
  • Guitarguy

Post 3+ Months Ago

My case is i cant hear ANY sound from anywhere. no winamp, no startup sound, no sound in games nadda. I've tried installing the AC'97 driver and no luck. In the device manager i also have an error on the Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer.

zirrow wrote:

i tried doing this. the State was = 1. i tried to run the next command and got this response:
[SC] ChangeServiceConfig SUCCESS.

then i restart my comp.... and no sound. So is this part of my problem or not?
  • zxqjj
  • Born
  • Born
  • zxqjj

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://group.zol.com.cn/frmView.php?u=h ... _7372.html

try this !
it works !

right check → renew driver → from list → next → none-search → next → next

done!
  • tweakboy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • tweakboy
  • Loc: Glendale

Post 3+ Months Ago

You must install your motherboard drivers, which come with the onboard audio driver as well. Then your problem is fixed.

First know which motherboard model you have, then download the driver,

could be via 4in1 or nvidia,,

gl buddz,
  • stayman24
  • Born
  • Born
  • stayman24

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh pleasee Help me.... I have the same problem about Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer with a yellow exclamation point over it.

I don't find the driver in the web to install it and have sound again... I am without sound please...help me!

I wait for your help, thank you very much

Federico

ImpfctWld wrote:
I have not had sound since late November. I'm running Windows XP SP2 and I believe the problem started when I downloaded SP2. Some undefined time after I would start up my computer, my sound would just stop. When I would check the Device Manager, it would show Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer with a yellow exclamation point over it. So, I would uninstall it, reboot my computer, and have sound again. A little while later, sound would disappear. I got so sick of doing this every time that I just disabled Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer and rebooted my computer. When I went back into Device Manager to enable it, it was GONE! Now I can't hear ANY sounds-not even the Windows start-up sound. My computer won't even register that I have an audio device. I have tried everything from getting a new sound card to updating my sound card drivers and editing the registry. Still no sound. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get sound back on my computer? I really don't want to have it fixed at a computer place where they'll charge me hundreds of dollars!
  • stayman24
  • Born
  • Born
  • stayman24

Post 3+ Months Ago

PLease ImpfctWld

have you solve your problem at the end=?

I, not
  • careprovider
  • Born
  • Born
  • careprovider
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a System Recovery done on my computer recently, lost audio from my speakers (among other things) and the symptoms I was having are exactly what everyone on this site describes (with the Kernel Wave Audio Mixer). Simple solution I found: Get on the website where you get your service packs (Mine was for Compaq). You need to find and install the chipset driver, no need for restart yet, then install the audio driver then reboot and it should work just like magic. At least mine did.

I know how frustrating this is, and it seemed that everyone I talked with had NO clue as to how to solve the problem. Good Luck.
  • koshi234
  • Born
  • Born
  • koshi234

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had the same problem. I clicked on uninstall in the device manager for Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer and restarted my computer. When I went to the device manager the device was no longer there and my sounds worked fine after that.
  • KeithBlueman
  • Born
  • Born
  • KeithBlueman

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had similar problem....solution was simpler than I could have imagined in the end! Used system restore! I KNOW you will now say that system restore never works!....well nor mine, but it DID in SAFE MODE. You restart your Pc, hold down F8 as it starts, then choose Safe Mode from the list of options...then when Windows starts (in safe mode, obviously!), you just do a system restore to a time before you got the problem! Then when Windows restarts...het presto...sound is BACK!
  • UA
  • Born
  • Born
  • UA

Post 3+ Months Ago

zirrow wrote:

I ran sc query kmixer and it is showing 1 (stopped), but running sc qc kmixer gives me a 3 (demand_start)? No matter how much I pick the MS GS Wavetable SW Synth in the Audio Tab for "Sounds and Andio Devices" in Control Panel,...it never stays put. No WAV sounds but I can play DVDs and CDs.
  • bodom321
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bodom321

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey man i just read your post and you got me out of ideas lol, anyway, there is way to disable your sound card from the bios itself, go to your bios setting ans try to find for the where it talks about your seound card sometime sit says (ac '97) and things like those, see if that is enable.

or if you just don;t wanna mess with the bios then just load the default settings for it. i had the proble that you had one time, but i fixed by installing the drive. you might also want to install "ac3filter".

it is weird that it does not appear in the device manager, there is a trick in the registry to unhide the devices in the taskmanager but i forgot how to do it. i am sure you will find it if you google it, i know it really sucks not having sound in your computer.

which is also weird is the fact that you said you tried a sound card and it didn;t work neither mmmm.
anyway try the bios thing and let's see what happens.

you didn't blow your sound card that in onboard, did you? lol just kidding
  • ImpfctWld
  • ImpfctWld

Post 3+ Months Ago

So sad...I still haven't found a way to get my sound back, even after trying everyone's suggestions. You have all been so kind in helping me!

Here's a recap of what's happened:

*Sound stopped on my Compaq computer, running Windows XP Home Edition
*Yellow exclamation over "Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer" in Device Manager
*Uninstalled MKWAM
*Rebooted computer so it would reload
*No sound and MKWAM disappeared from Device Manager
*Tried new sound card - no sound (even disabled onboard sound in BIOS)

If anyone knows how I can get my sound back, I'm willing to try just about anything. If you need more details about the history of this problem, don't be shy about asking! Thank you all so much for your help!
  • nopro1
  • Born
  • Born
  • nopro1

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know if this will fix your particular issue, but I just started getting the message about "new hardware detected" and that I needed to allow windows to find the driver for my "Microsoft Kernel Audio Mixer". And it responded each time with the warning about it not having passed "Windows Logo Testing". If I told it to cancel, guess what - no sound whatsoever. I've been running SP2 all along and had done nothing to make this happen, however I've recently gotten similar messages for a new jump drive and a second hard drive I just added. Decided to go to Windows Update site, and although I've had the computer set for automatic updates (and it still appeared to be) I couldn't get updates because of the following (copied from their page at
http://www.update.microsoft.com/windows ... x?ln=en-us)
as follows:

The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is not running:
• Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install high-priority updates for your computer)
• Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
• Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with troubleshooting, if needed)
To make sure these services are running:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click Properties.
10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.

I followed the instructions and in fact two of three were disabled; afterward I downloaded 12 updates and rebooted; problem appears to be solved as it booted with sound and didn't "find" any new "hardware".

Hope it works for you.
  • jukeboxmusic
  • Born
  • Born
  • jukeboxmusic

Post 3+ Months Ago

You get it working yet? I had the same problem, took me 3 days to get it fixed but i finally got it working.
  • jonniehiem
  • Born
  • Born
  • jonniehiem

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heres my fix:
Went to control panel, then sounds and audio devices, the volume tab said no sound and I was this tab section was disabled. Then I changed the sounds scheme in the sounds tab from no sound to windows default. Then I think I changed sound playback to SoundMAX Digital Audio (or whatever sound card you are using) in the audio tab, I dont remember. Anyway I'm pretty sure changing to windows default option did it, cause BAM! it worked =)

JonniE_M
  • wumpus
  • Born
  • Born
  • wumpus

Post 3+ Months Ago

jonniehiem wrote:
Heres my fix:
Went to control panel, then sounds and audio devices, the volume tab said no sound and I was this tab section was disabled. Then I changed the sounds scheme in the sounds tab from no sound to windows default. Then I think I changed sound playback to SoundMAX Digital Audio (or whatever sound card you are using) in the audio tab, I dont remember. Anyway I'm pretty sure changing to windows default option did it, cause BAM! it worked =)

JonniE_M

This worked...make sure the 'microsoft kernel wave audio' is enabled. I did it after going to the control panel/then sounds and audio devices. Set sound to default windows, but nothing until I enabled the 'MKWA'. I had to close the web browser before the sound worked with it, but no rebooting involved.
  • russ1162
  • Born
  • Born
  • russ1162

Post 3+ Months Ago

I fixed the problem by disabling and re-enabling the driver and the problem cleared up.
  • lirush
  • Born
  • Born
  • lirush

Post 3+ Months Ago

i dont know if you have solved this or not, but i just have the same problem, and i fix it just now,well, all i done is update my sis pci ide controller,, why i do that? i dont know, it happen becoz i scan with the some driver scanner, it said that the driver i had is out of date, then suddenly all the yellow thing vanish..and i can hear the sound perfectly..
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 60 posts