NO SOUND!

• ImpfctWld
  • ImpfctWld

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have not had sound since late November. I'm running Windows XP SP2 and I believe the problem started when I downloaded SP2. Some undefined time after I would start up my computer, my sound would just stop. When I would check the Device Manager, it would show Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer with a yellow exclamation point over it. So, I would uninstall it, reboot my computer, and have sound again. A little while later, sound would disappear. I got so sick of doing this every time that I just disabled Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer and rebooted my computer. When I went back into Device Manager to enable it, it was GONE! Now I can't hear ANY sounds-not even the Windows start-up sound. My computer won't even register that I have an audio device. I have tried everything from getting a new sound card to updating my sound card drivers and editing the registry. Still no sound. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get sound back on my computer? I really don't want to have it fixed at a computer place where they'll charge me hundreds of dollars!
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I so far havent heard of SP2 creating any problems with sound, so I doubt that has anything to do with anything.

Question, were you using onboard sound or a sound card before? If the computer was with onboard sound and you removed it from your hardware list, you need to get the CD that came with the motherboard that has the setup files for activating your onboard sound again (probably downloadable from their website).

Whats the status of your computer now? Do you have a new sound card or what exactly?
  • ImpfctWld
  • ImpfctWld

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was using my onboard sound, Realtek AC'97, when my sound disappeared. I bought a new sound card (and promptly returned it) to see if I could get sound using that, but I couldn't. Now I'm back to my original onboard sound. The only thing I disabled was Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer. I have a Compaq computer, which means that it didn't come with CD's to install things such as Windows XP and my onboard sound. I've tried fiddling around in BIOS, merging a file into the registry, basically everything I could think of to try to get my sound back. Oh, and I've also tried reinstalling my onboard sound. It's the darn Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer that's the problem! Any suggestions?
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

When the icon has the yellow exclamation point over it, right click on it, propertys, and see what error code it is giving you.
  • ImpfctWld
  • ImpfctWld

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had done that, and I believe it gave me error code 3. However, Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer does NOT appear in the Device Manager anymore.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try downloading this driver and installing it:

http://drivers.soft32.com/driver/downlo ... 24553.html

Then go to add remove hardware and use the wizard to look for new hardware devices
  • ImpfctWld
  • ImpfctWld

Post 3+ Months Ago

I tried it, but the site wouldn't bring up anything to download.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Really stupid question, have you tried going to Add New Hardware to see if the AC '97 option has been disabled? Or manually try and add the new hardware again?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry about that -- I didn't actually try the download link.

Basically search for a Realtek AC97 driver and install it. Then do the search for new hardware and let it detect your audio devices again. Hopefully that will put you back in business.

You might want to see if Windows Update detects the driver you need for it. That's how I've gotten it in the past.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good Mirror:

http://members.driverguide.com/director ... b9709e2be3

If it asks,
Username: drivers
Password: all
  • ImpfctWld
  • ImpfctWld

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK, guys. I've tried installing new drivers for my onboard sound, but I still don't have any sound. I don't believe it's the drivers for it that's the problem because I can play MIDI's but not anything associated with Wave files (because I need my Wave Mixer to work.) When I open Winamp, for example, it won't even play a song. It's not that the song is playing and I just can't hear it; it actually give me an error message:

"Bad DirectSound driver. Please install proper drivers or seelct another device in configuration. Error Code: 88780032"

I should also mention that the Sound and Audio Devices in the Control Panel says "No Audio Device" and everything is greyed out under Device volume and Speaker settings. It also shows that I have no playback device. I'm using the most recent DirectX version and all of my onboard sound drivers have been updated. I'm getting really frustrated with not having Microsoft Kernel Wave Audio Mixer show up in the Device Manager. All I want to do is enable it and get sound back-it's been a quiet 4 months!

Thank you so much for trying to help me solve this. Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
  • ImpfctWld
  • ImpfctWld

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't mean to discourage anyone with my last post... :wink:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm just currently out of ideas. Not discouraged. Hopefully you'll get your answer here.
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll need a second opinion on this suggestion as I'm not sure if it may help or hinder the problem. Would it make any sense to clear and reset the CMOS? I'm just assuming since its onboard sound it should have *some* effect on bringing the default sound back to life. This is just thinking out loud, so someone please chime in on that thought!
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Couldn't hurt anything. Just remember to reset your date if you do.
  • ImpfctWld
  • ImpfctWld

Post 3+ Months Ago

What's this about CMOS? I have no idea what that is.
  • NaNoBoT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Originally an abbreviation for Complementary Metal Oxide Semiconductor -- a semiconductor technology used in many integrated circuits. Now often used to describe the low-level hardware that contains a personal computer's BIOS setting, and the computer's hardware clock.

It looks like this and its located on your motherboard...
  • loza
  • Born
  • Born
  • loza

Post 3+ Months Ago

:(

ok...

mne's a different story but since it involved windows xp and a and upgrade to sp2 and a lack of sound and sionce one of the responden's hadn't heard of sound problems with windows xp, I'll disillusion him...

read on if i've not bored you to death!

System Info

Win XP Pro Sp2 (Version: 2002)
256 Ram
900 Mhz Duron Processor
Creative 4.1 Digital Sound Card (Model CT4750)

Problem

I’ve got no sound, ever since installing this WinXP Sp2 over a WinXP Sp1 (upgrade install) and then updating the driver on Microsoft Update.

The strange thing is that the sound as far as Windows is concerned the soundcard is installed – device manager says it is enabled and working.

But:

(1) In the control pannel "Sound and Audio Devices" says there's not sound device installed and...
(2) In the device manager if I select the Sound card // right click, select properties // go to the Properties tab, and select the properties for the devices shown…it tells me that the driver is "enabled but not started".

I have…

• (re)Installed the correct drivers (indeed the ones I got off update are correct anyway)

and

• removed and reinserted the card on numerous occasions using three differen PCI slots

and

• Tried out the solution post here to a very, very similar problem: http://www.mcse.ms/archive61-2004-11-1069682.html

It didn’t work, but then neither did I get the same message regarding which drivers were not working, when I looked at my boot log the following drivers had not loaded:

Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\lbrtfdc.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Sfloppy.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\i2omgmt.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Changer.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Cdaudio.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\PCIDump.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\wdmaud.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\rdbss.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ipnat.sys

None of these are the drivers listed for my card under the driver details page in device manager.

As the following excerpts form DX Diagnostics show, the Game controller on my sound card is working fine, but parts of my PC see the card (Device Manager) and parts don't (control pannel aplet, DX Diag)

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description:
Default Sound Playback: No
Default Voice Playback: No
Hardware ID:
Manufacturer ID:
Product ID:
Type:
Driver Name:
Driver Version:
Driver Attributes:
WHQL Logo'd:
Date and Size:
Other Files:
Driver Provider:
HW Accel Level: Emulation Only
Cap Flags: 0x0
Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
Registry: OK
Sound Test Result: Not run

---------------------
Sound Capture Devices
---------------------
-----------
DirectMusic
-----------
DLS Path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drivers\GM.DLS
DLS Version: 1.00.0016.0002
Acceleration: n/a
Ports: Microsoft Synthesizer, Software (Not Kernel Mode), Output, DLS, Internal, Default Port
Registry: OK
Test Result: Not run

----------------
Gameport Devices
----------------
+ PCI bus
| Matching Device ID: *pnp0a03
| Service: pci
| Driver: pci.sys, 8/4/2004 02:07:00, 68224 bytes
|
+-+ Standard Game Port
| | Matching Device ID: *pnpb02f
| | Service: gameenum
| | Driver: gameenum.sys, 8/4/2004 02:07:00, 10624 bytes
|
+ Creative AudioPCI (ES1371,ES1373) (WDM)
| Location: PCI bus 0, device 9, function 0
| Matching Device ID: pci\ven_1274&dev_5880
| Service: es1371
| Driver: ksuser.dll, 8/4/2004 00:56:44, 4096 bytes
| Driver: ksproxy.ax, 8/4/2004 00:56:58, 130048 bytes
| Driver: ks.sys, 8/3/2004 23:15:22, 140928 bytes
| Driver: drmk.sys, 8/3/2004 23:08:00, 60288 bytes
| Driver: portcls.sys, 8/3/2004 23:15:50, 145792 bytes
| Driver: stream.sys, 8/3/2004 23:08:04, 48640 bytes
| Driver: wdmaud.drv, 8/4/2004 00:56:58, 23552 bytes
| Driver: es1371mp.sys, 6/3/2002 11:18:32, 40832 bytes
|
+-+ Game Port for Creative
| | Matching Device ID: *ctl7001
| | Service: gameenum
| | Driver: gameenum.sys, 8/4/2004 02:07:00, 10624 bytes

Any thoughts?

Any more info needed?

Cheers in advance guys!
  • loza
  • Born
  • Born
  • loza

Post 3+ Months Ago

:shock: :evil: :roll: :cry: :(
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Take a look at this page loza, maybe it can solve your problem:

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1066427444
  • loza
  • Born
  • Born
  • loza

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks lets see what happens :)
  • loza
  • Born
  • Born
  • loza

Post 3+ Months Ago

:evil:

I really though I was on to something there - pnp software emulator wasn't installed so it looked like that was the prob...but now it is installed and still nothing...

i'll try a bit of soundcard removal and replacement and see if that help

thanx agin for replying

:)
  • TheJappyHick
  • Born
  • Born
  • TheJappyHick

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello I have the same problem as u do
Have u figured anything out
  • 7NA C.O.
  • Born
  • Born
  • 7NA C.O.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi everyone, I have more or less the same problem, except for the fact that I can play music on winamp but no MIDIs, not even the windows startup tunes, and also, I can't seem to play BGM sound files, i.e., game sounds. If it helps anybody, I've had the problem where windows wouldn't want to detect my speakers, but rebooting solved this problem for me. Also, in the audio tab, for the properties window, the MIDI dropdown option is always blank, and also is the audio recording one, but that's not the case, there IS something to put there, the Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth, but no matter how many times I select it the next time I open the window its blank again. I've tried installing another MIDI driver but the problem of returing to blank persists. Right now, I'm about to test the driver update and see what happens. If I figure out something more I'll let you know
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

You never know but I shouldn't think so, but computers can do the darndest things and it wouldn't surprise me that much ;)
My 2 cents worth is this:
Have you tried using the "Add Hardware" then saying you'll select it from a list, choose sound card, "Have Disk" use one of the directories where you extracted one of the above drivers and selecting the Ac97?
You might also be able to use the above method to reinstall Microsoft Kernel wave Mixer.
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z

Post 3+ Months Ago

Perhaps try reinstalling DirectX 9.0c as well?
  • mcsquid86
  • Born
  • Born
  • mcsquid86

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had the same thing. No sound after installing windows XP SP2. I was on the phone for about 3 hours with the microsoft tech. In end I ran the repair program on my windows disk. That set everything back to default. I hope this helps someone.
  • Alkatr0z
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Alkatr0z

Post 3+ Months Ago

Awhile back I had a problem with a Microsoft Driver update that stopped my soundcard from working. Have any of you tried the driver updates from Microsoft Windows Update? Or are you all using the correct drivers from the manufacturer?
  • 7NA C.O.
  • Born
  • Born
  • 7NA C.O.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm using drivers from the manufacturer, but had never had sound. The first thing I noticed upon installing windows was that there were no startup tunes, which didn't bothered me at first. As I have already posted, I can listen to music and everything else, it's just an issue with the midi sounds and so far game sounds have been affected too. By the way, I tried installing the drivers update for the AC'97 but it was useless. That sound issue now has prevented me from installing a new game, when copying the sound files an error would pop up saying 'error copying sound files, please refer to the troubleshooting section'. Basically, it tells me that if you can't hear windows startup tunes, you have a sound problem and therefore the game will not run.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 60 posts