spoolsv.exe deleted on Vaio

• marcpo
  • Born
  • Born
  • marcpo

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have accidently deleted spoolsv.exe from Windows XP on a Sony Vaio. It is a brand new Vaio and Sony does not include the XP CDs. Sonys helpline is hopeless. How can I download just the spoolsv.exe and not reinstall the whole XP software package? I downloaded the utilities package and reinstalled it but it does not help. Any ideas? Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

marcpo wrote:
I downloaded the utilities package and reinstalled it but it does not help.

Which "utilities package" are you talking about?
Well you can try this instead. Insert the Windows installation disk. Open command prompt(Start>Run>...type "cmd" ) and type
sfc /scannow and hit enter.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

He doesn't have a Windows disk Roy. But it's ok, I think if he use sfc from command prompt Windows will use the installation files located, most of time, in a folder in the hard disk.
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh yes,
Quote:
Sony does not include the XP CDs
I have overlooked this.
  • marcpo
  • Born
  • Born
  • marcpo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for your advice.
I tried the SFC/scannow procedure and it opened a window that started verifying all the protected Windows files are intact and in their original version. It took a while so I left it running over night and this morning that window was gone.
I checked to see if I could add a printer and can not. Same problem.
I ran the SFC/scannow again to see if there was something I missed and the window just closes after the scan. Still no spoolsv.exe file.
Do I need to reinstall XP to get the spoolsv.exe file?
  • dafunk
  • Student
  • Student
  • dafunk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Before You reinstall XP why not give this a try

Goto Start>Run>type services.msc
Hit enter and find the print spooler service Start the print spooler service (if it is already started, stop and restart it), make sure the startup type is set to Automatic
and restart your PC.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

You may not need to reinstall XP but you may need the XP disk so you can copy spoolsv.exe from the disk to your PC.
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should have a folder called C:\I386 on your computer, you can find spoolsv.exe there.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also look in c:\windows\system32\dllcache
  • marcpo
  • Born
  • Born
  • marcpo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for all of your advice but none of that worked since I had deleted the spoolsv.exe file accidently and Sony does NOT provide CDs for XP.

The solution after Sony charged me 2euros, I am in Europe for the advice, is to press F10 when restarting. This is unique to the new VAIOs as XP is stored on the harddisk. F10 is the key that reinstalls all of XP in either the C or D drives. You have to back up all of the files in the C drive or you will lose them as in a typical reinstallation. So I copied all of the files from C to D drive and reinstalled. Why Sony charges for this advice is beyond me but they say that Microsoft would not let them ship XP cds with their products.

If you want to change the preset C and D drive capacity you must do the same proceedure but you will lose all the files on the hard drive so be sure to back everything up.

I am back up and working again.
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Glad to know it got back again but I really don't know why they charge for this simple procedure beside they should provide the XP installation disk if it comes with OS preinstalled.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now that I think about it, Sony as with some other companies will hide a partition that is a factory back-up of the C: drive.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts