SPOOLSV.EXE Nightmare

• Nic
  • Student
  • Student
  • Nic
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very occassionally my cpu is running at 100%.

So I take a look at the processes, to see what is using so much power. When in the the task manager I notice that a program called SPOOLSV.EXE is taking up 99% of my cpu.

Now I can only do two things to my knowledge.

1> Perform an end task, on the Spoolsv.exe program.

2> Reboot the computer.

Both of these work, however doing these every time has become a pain in the ass, because the program mentioned restarts it self about every 30mins, & it's driving me INSANE!

Any help?

Coz I need it!

Nic.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

spoolsv.exe is a Microsoft printer spooler service. Normally this should only be active when your printer is trying to print something. Try leaving your printer off when not in use and see if that helps.
  • Nic
  • Student
  • Student
  • Nic

Post 3+ Months Ago

when spoolsv.exe starts the printer isn't even hooked up to the computer.

i have a laptop, so i could be downstairs when spoolsv.exe starts, & my printer is upstairs.

have you any more suggestions?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK -- found this - check the first paragraph about Troj/Graybird-A
http://www.esecurityplanet.com/alerts/a ... hp/3064391

More info here:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/av ... ird.e.html

Update your virus definitions and run a full virus scan.
  • Nic
  • Student
  • Student
  • Nic

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank's for the help ATNO/TW

nic
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also this is a nice little tool ,to see whats running in task manager

http://www.iamnotageek.com/uploads/ianagsvchostv1.exe

Creates a DOS Window with the tasklist /svc information in it just by clicking run,sometimes you have to expand it a little before hitting run.
  • Bubbles342
  • Born
  • Born
  • Bubbles342

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am having the same problem. spoolsv.exe is running at about 95% and I am not printing anything...

I am running XP fully updated and patched and current virus protection...any other thoughts...
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Bubbles342 -- welcome to OZZU

try running Trend Micro's online scan
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/houseca ... t_corp.asp

If that doesn't fix it, try some of the other tips suggested here:
http://www.ozzu.com/mswindows-forum/highjackthis-and-spyware-removal-resources-and-tips-t31034.html

If that still doesn't work, download and run the current version of hijackthis noted in the above link and post the log in a new Post.
  • Arcath
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: New England

Post 3+ Months Ago

As odd as this may sound, try copying the spoolsv.exe into the startup folder and see if that makes a difference. We had a client in a Netware enviroment and ramdomly the spooler file would flip out and start running at 99% usage and this fixed it for over a year now.

Basically what is suppose to happen is the spoller should load when you print something and close when it's done, but sometimes it crashes when loading and never gets out of that state. By loading it at startup it is already up and running when the print request comes in and doesn't have the problem with crashing.

So far I've only needed to use this when Novell servers are involved but I just thought I'd let you know incase you wanted to try it. If it doesn't work just pull it out of the startup.

Also you might want to delete the spoolsv.exe file and reinstall it from the original cab files. If you want information on how to do that just let me know what version of Windows you are running.
  • onzlaught
  • Born
  • Born
  • onzlaught

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also you might want to delete the spoolsv.exe file and reinstall it from the original cab files. If you want information on how to do that just let me know what version of Windows you are running.

How do u do that?
  • onzlaught
  • Born
  • Born
  • onzlaught

Post 3+ Months Ago

How is that done for windows XP
  • Arcath
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: New England

Post 3+ Months Ago

onzlaught IM'ed me tonight and I gave him the following instrustions, I'm reposting here in case anyone else needs this information. System file protection was already turned off and old spoolsv.exe already was deleted.

-------------------------------------------

(START button)

Click on RUN...

type: cmd [enter]

(assuming your Windows XP cd is in the D: drive)
type: copy D:\i386\spoolsv.ex_ c:\windows\system32\spoolsv.exe [enter]

once he rebooted he was able to print again.
  • Nic
  • Student
  • Student
  • Nic

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have found that Updating my virus definitions, and perfoming a full system scan, solved the problem.

Thanks to all that helped.
  • cslider7
  • Born
  • Born
  • cslider7

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys having problems printing on network printer, spool service not running. Tried restarting it, same scenario. Ran spyare program, nothing. network has virus program that runs every day. I tried deleting my spoolsv.exe so I could reload it, but it gives me cannot delete Access denied. Any suggestions
  • thinkmorefloyd
  • Born
  • Born
  • thinkmorefloyd

Post 3+ Months Ago

1. Go to Start, Settings and click Control Panel
2. In the Control Panel window, first double-click on Administrative Tools and then on Services.
3. In the right pane of the Services window locate and right-click on Print Spooler and then select Stop.
4. After you have stopped this process, leave the Service window open. Now open My Computer and navigate to the following folder.
c:\windows\system32\spool\PRINTERS - in Windows Vista, XP, 98/95/ME or

c:\winnt\system32\spool\PRINTERS - in Windows NT\2000
5. Delete all the files in the Printers folder. After deleting the files in this folder, go back to Services window, right-click on Print Spooler, and then select startto re-enable the service.
  • hagyma1977
  • Born
  • Born
  • hagyma1977

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you "thinkmorefloyd".

So far soo good, lets wait a couple more minutes...
I'll post the result later, if not then it froze up again.
  • hagyma1977
  • Born
  • Born
  • hagyma1977

Post 3+ Months Ago

thinkmorefloyd wrote:
1. Go to Start, Settings and click Control Panel
2. In the Control Panel window, first double-click on Administrative Tools and then on Services.
3. In the right pane of the Services window locate and right-click on Print Spooler and then select Stop.
4. After you have stopped this process, leave the Service window open. Now open My Computer and navigate to the following folder.
c:\windows\system32\spool\PRINTERS - in Windows Vista, XP, 98/95/ME or

c:\winnt\system32\spool\PRINTERS - in Windows NT\2000
5. Delete all the files in the Printers folder. After deleting the files in this folder, go back to Services window, right-click on Print Spooler, and then select startto re-enable the service.

Thank You "thinkmorefloyd"!!!!

You saved my life, it totaly works, now i don't have to kill spoolsv.exe every 2 minutes from task manager.

I hope you guys won't close this forum, so it can help others.

Thank you again! :-)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts