Re: Spoolsv.exe

• sam_of_steel
  • Born
  • Born
  • sam_of_steel

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi
My computer was running really slow and it was due to the spoolsv.exe application. I deleted this application off my computer entirely seeing as i did not have a printer. I have recently bought a printer and it will not work as i have deleted this application. I am not in possession of any windows XP installation discs. Is there any website or way i can get this application without having to buy a windows XP disc?
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Regards
Sam
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.onegeek.com/answers/userinit-windows-xp-fix/

Download it from #3 under the disclaimer.
  • sam_of_steel
  • Born
  • Born
  • sam_of_steel

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey thanks for the advice.
I downloaded the application however when i try to add it to the registry it comes up with a warning saying "cannot import: c:\userinitfix.reg: error opening the file. There may be a disk or file system error"
Would you know how to fix this as well? lol
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

@Don2007: Are you sure you got what Sam said? He deleted the original spoolsv.exe (the one that ships with Windows) and needs it back, but the link you provided is merely a dummy application to restore the userinit value in the registry - it's got nothing to do with the print spooler itself.

@Sam: I don't think that would work, and I'm not sure where you can get the original file for download. Maybe you should copy the file from a friend's computer.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

If I start the download, it's called spoolsv.exe So why isn't that the file? He doesn't have to do anything with the .reg file.
  • sam_of_steel
  • Born
  • Born
  • sam_of_steel

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah it downloads as spoolsv.exe however if i add a new printer it says that the spoolsv.exe is not running as i did delete it. However when i open the spoolsv.exe it says that business about the registry and won't do anything at all.
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Check the file's properties. It's a 16KB file and it's a VB application (see its icon) whereas the original file is ~100KB and has no icon. That site has provided this dummy application to restore the userinit registry entry. (as a fix to a specific malware application) It's for someone who is unable to log on to his account. Since spoolsv.exe is started by the system even before you log on, he uses it to run the registry fix and then - see the last line:
Quote:
If your desktop appears, you will need to browse to c:\[windowsdir]\system32\ to restore the original spoolsv.exe file. Delete my program spoolsv.exe. Rename spoolsv.exe.bak to spoolsv.exe.
  • sam_of_steel
  • Born
  • Born
  • sam_of_steel

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey guys thanks... i resolved the problem. Just copied it from another computer. Don't know why i didn't do it before posting on here. So simple lol Thanks anyway
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

That was the next thing I was going to say.

I still don't understand how a site can offer a dummy application with the same name as the original.
  • casablanca
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

When you can't even log in, you'll have to use some kind of trick to make Windows run a fix - spoolsv.exe is one of the applications that is run before you log on, so that's the reason that website named it so.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts