SpyBot won't load (though it flickers..) after registry mod

• jdughi
  • Born
  • Born
  • jdughi

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi! Some help would be appreciated. I have Win 2000 Advanced Server running on my work laptop. Historically I have successfully loaded and run SpyBot. More recently, however, I have been working on restricting/eliminating some of the services that I have been running (since they are/would be unnecessary as this laptop doesn't, for instance, need to act as THE DNS server, or as THE DHCP server - you get the idea)

Well, since I have made those not-so-minor modifications/reductions to services that had been running, SpyBot won't load.

I suspect that one, or several critical services to SpyBot's existence have been disabled. I did, for instance, since then, attempt to restart most, or ALL services available to me, but that didn't help (and, of course, had I left them running, I would have subjected myself to a much greater array of possible threats.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you. Josh.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would reboot, hit F8, and restore to your "Last known good configuration."

beyond that, a reinstall of windows.
  • Freakyp
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: M'boro. TN, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

maybe, since spybot doesnt work you could try ad-aware or a silmar peice of software to replace spybot.... just a thought :roll:
  • jdughi
  • Born
  • Born
  • jdughi

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, to the poster who suggested that I go to the previously known good image... I mean.. yesterday, I had a good working image, and the day before that, and before that.. If I go back to when these events took place, then, in short order, the image changed three to five times in 5 days... so, I'd have to go back to the ?? 6th-to-the-last working image?!?

To the second poster, Yes, I do use Adaware, but, it is regularly observed that it is a good practice to use BOTH Ad-aware AS WELL AS SpyBot - the argument being that the weakness of the search of one product, is overcome by the strength in the search by the other one, and vice-versa.

Thanks, in the meanwhile.

I suspect I will reload..
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

just out of curiosity, did you try uninjstalling the re-installing?
  • bkummer
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Butler, Pennsylvania

Post 3+ Months Ago

there is a utility out there to REPAIR spybot. What happened is that your settings are not premitting you to use the spybot. You can find this utility on a google search.
  • bkummer
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Butler, Pennsylvania

Post 3+ Months Ago

If anyone would like this utility please PM me and i will send it to you via email.

This utility restores Spybot to it's original settings. when you change the settings in Spybot, they sometimes become corrupt after your reboot.

All Advice is good Advice!
  • peel
  • Born
  • Born
  • peel

Post 3+ Months Ago

Try checking your registery under hkey Current Software .... spybot etc...

Same thing happened to me after i had just reinstalled windows and applied a few windows xp tweaks. Really weird - but looking at the registery there are some keys that indicate it has been diabled for a reason.
I tried deleting and changing the values for the key, plus reisntalling it but no luck what so ever. Still loads and exits immediately.

Havent had time to look in to it but i will be shortly!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts