Spyware removal causing problems

• kayla4me
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • kayla4me

Post 3+ Months Ago

I deleted a program that has something to do with spyware (Spider maybe??) . Now my computer will not let me go into some of the programs like internet explorer. I did restore my system, but it will not run all the way. The wupdater and winsrv are not responding. It's Win 2000?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Ragnar78
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Ragnar78

Post 3+ Months Ago

how did you delete the program...and are you sure its a spyware???
Cause here i think you might need to reinstall (or more precisely Fix) windows with its repair option from the CD...

And do a registry Backup before
  • kayla4me
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • kayla4me

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes I did that with the disk. I also did the reinstall windows. The program I removed is call purcity. I was wondering is there some kind of internet explorer software that I can buy and reinstall it like that. Everything else is running, but it's running really slow. oh and when I try to shutdown it won't, it keeps saying system is busy.
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

You can download the internet explorer 6.0 setup free from microsoft, and it will repair ie. If you used adaware or spybot to remove it, then you can just restore from that program.
If you haven't run one of these programs then you probably need to.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

wupdater is spyware. winsrv is questionable. Some say it is, and others say it may be. It also possible that some applications may need it, but for the most part it's expendable.

I would definitely run adaware and spybot s&d as suggested. However, it may not stop the problem with the two not responding. The easiest way to fix that is to elliminate them from executing at startup. The difficulty however, is Windows 2000 doesn't have a means to selectively choose what runs at startup (msconfig). You can follow the instructions here to install it on Win2K:

http://www.ozzu.com/sutra43407.html#43407

Run it by typing msconfig into the Start | Run then uncheck wupdater and winsrv from either the startup tab or the services tab (whichever one they are in).

In regards to repairing IE by running set up as recommended, here's the direct link to the setup download:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en
  • kayla4me
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • kayla4me

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks everyone. I downloaded the IE installation, so I will try that tonight. I'll let you know how this works.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just so you know, what you downloaded is the setup executable. When you run it tonight, you will still be looking at downloading the actual program files. That may take awhile if you're on dial-up. If broadband it shouldn't be more than a few extra minutes.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts